primer pockets

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

primer pockets

Post by M.Bird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Taking a break from the daily duties of reloading, today loading 308 to start with, having 100 black hills match and 100 Federal cases: here is what I have run into.
Primer of choice in CCI match LG rifle: on 7 of the Black hill cases the primer pocket was very tight, using my Lee hand primer that has primed more cases that I will admit to, I know how much pressure is needed to seat the primer, when the primer did not slide in pulled the case checked the pocket, checked the primer, both looked normal, try again, still more pressure than required, pulled case aside for further inspection. Getting the mic out these primer pockets are undersized .004. Just asking if any one else has run into this on Black Hills cases, all the Federal went fine

V/R
M. Bird

TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: primer pockets

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Funny you mentioned this, I just had trouble witha few NEW Winchester pieces for brass for the 30-06.
I also use the Lee hand primer and 8 cases out of the bag of 50 NEW Winchester brass were a very snug fit for seating the primer. I had to use a primer pocket uniformer to be able to seat the primer fully.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:46 pm

i checked some of my primers and all are uniform in size that I checked, they are older primers

Just funny that you have the same problem with a different brand of brass

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:04 am

That is interesting I have never run into this with any of my brass so far.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Snake River Marksman
3 point
3 point

Post by Snake River Marksman » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:52 am

I've run into this before as well. It seems to be more prevalent since "The Great Shortage" I've just chalked it up to QC inspectors at both the brass and primer manufactures being a little more lenient about the specs so as to meet the higher demand. I say the primer manufacturers as well because I've run into it with some OLD LC 67 Match brass as well.
Stupidity is expensive

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 pm

I've had a heck of a problem priming once fired hornady .308 brass last night. A few of them went in pretty easily with a hand primer, while others wouldn't even budge. I ended up ruining a few primers because it was so tight. I tried some federal brass and the primers slid in like a charm. I'm pretty new to the reloading scene and I thought priming was one of the "easier" parts. I didn't realize there could be issues!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:33 pm

M.bird wrote:
Just funny that you have the same problem with a different brand of brass
I think it may be due to the push to keep up with demand the manufactures of reloading components were under for a while when there was a shortage of components due to hoarding. Many of the manufactures were running 24 hours a day jsut to keep up with the orders and were still falling behind.

It seems like the quality control was not very tight becuase of the manufactures trying to catch up and get ahead of the demand. Most likey there was so much product being pushed out a day that they could not control the quality as tightly.

I only had problems once before and only on a few pieces of brass that looked as if the primer pocket was not fully stamped out. This time though I had issues with 8 pieces in one 50 piece bag thats crazy :-k . Once I used a primer pocket uniformer they popped right in as they are supposed to.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK