Is this story about you?

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
leupoldmkIVm3
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Is this story about you?

Post by leupoldmkIVm3 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:46 pm

In response to M.Bird "Hunting is not long range target practice", you have missed the point completely. Long range target practice is preparation for hunting. My wife drew a deer tag in CO last year, her first year ever to hunt. We spent countless hours shooting from 100 to her limit with my Hart barrelled Remmy 700 in 6.5x284. I have a Leupold MK IV 3.5x10 with M3 turrets with the whole works mounted in an HS stock. He effective range for a 100 percent hits on a 6inch by nine inch target was around 650 yards using the buttel drop turret.
When season rolled around, I was confident any deer within that range was as good as dead. On the third day, we found the bunch of bucks I'd been on for the last three weeks. We set her up on the shooting sticks and waited. The deer used the same route to feed they had the last few days I'd watched them. One stepped into a clearing in the brush at a laser ranged 498 yards. She dialed the scope up, got on target, and when I said I had him in the spotting scope, and the wind was calm, she let it go. There was a brief pause, then I watched the buck drop in his tracks before the sound of impact came back to us. And before you go thinking this was a girl raised up hunting all her life, she never even picked up a gun before we met ten months before she got her first deer, a 28" five by five. Not bad for a first buck if you ask me. So, two points in your post are valid. As for the scouting, yeah, it made all the difference in the world. We could set up on these deer and watch them for two days before we got the perfect shot opportunity. Second, she shot more practice rounds at 500 to 700 yards than most "serious hunters" will in ten years from "real world hunting positions".
And by the way, my scope didn't cost more tham my rifle. If you have a rifle accurate enough to make 100 percent kill shots on game out to half a mile, you've spent way more on the gunsmithing and parts than an $1100 dollar scope will set you back. Don't knock those of us who do what we do just because it goes against your idea of "ethical hunting". I've tracked more deer that were shot running than I ever have those shot at "long range"

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:20 pm

I will pipe up against better judgment:
There will always be acceptions to every rule of hunting. It is good that you have the resources to obtain a rifle capable of shooting long distance and were able to practice.
If that is your preference in the way you hunt, there is nothing anyone could say to change your views. Everyone hunts different: I will stand by the Statement Long range shooting is not hunting.
Hunting is the practice of pursuing any living organism, usually wildlife or feral animals, by humans for food, recreation, or trade
You say you did all your scouting and found these buck traveling the same route for the last 3 days.
You could not get to a better (closer) point, you must have some specialized training to read winds across valleys and canyons (or just darn lucky)
No matter how much practice you do at 500yds with a full value wind moving your bullet 14 inches and a drop of 38inches, can you honestly say that there was no way to get closer to these animals?
I will say a very remarkable shot for taking her first deer (if not first animal)
Best of luck on further hunts
M. Bird

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Thank goodness Mbird doesn't get to define hunting. This thread chapped my butt too. We all have opinions, but why put down fellow sportsmen for no reason? I've always liked you! But this post was ignorant in my opinion. I've snuck up on many deer even killing a few at under 10 yards. Now I like to shoot them further sometimes. Call it shooting, call it sniping I don't care. It's fun and I like it.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

leupoldmkIVm3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by leupoldmkIVm3 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 pm

Well said Springville! At least someone else sees how educational long range shooting can be. No, I didn't have the means to just buy this rifle and scope, what I did have the means to do was learn how to use a lathe and put it together. A chronograph and a good ballistics program with a rangefinder are all that are needed The only two parts I paid full price for were the scope and the stock. I'll try to post some pictures of groups this gun is capable of so M.Bird can see i'm not just some retard flock shooting deer and elk.
And no, there was no way to get closer, these bucks were using a trail that could only be seen from a higher vantage point. Believe me, we got as close as we could. I'm not strictly a long range shooter, but it is in my bag of tricks and I can do it if the need arises.
Yes, I am very good at reading the wind, in the off season I shoot prarie dogs and coyotes as far away as I can find them. There is no school or training you can take to learn to read the wind. Only experience will tell you what the wind will do to a bullet. But unless conditions are perfect, i WILL NOT take a shot over 400 yards.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:40 am

WOW
What a change of tune in that song by “LeupoldnkIVm3”
His 7th post on site all this long range practice beyond 500yrs and talking about custom rifle and all the money he has spent and the amount of lead send down range and a 500yd shot by spouce
His 8th post: “I will not take a shot over 400yrs” and first rifle put together shoot SUB MOA (WOW)
There is no school for reading wind? Yes there is: Gunsite is a fine school, CheyTac USA has a great school. Couple schools down southern US (I have not attended the civilian schools there)
I was right (last post) that I should have keep my mouth shut and let people spout off.
I will accept Springville remarks because we have agreed and disagreed on point before. (his views and mine are not always)
If you are going to post make sure you have consistence view or stories, stories that keep changing are called lies.
Best wishes to all
V/R

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

It's all good, I get the gist of your post and I have my pet peeves as well. I just try to run everything through the "persuit of happiness" filter where I try to respect those with whom I don't agree. In my irrational opinion, I think that most archers and almost all riflemen do not practice enough to justify shooting at game even at very modest ranges. I used to volunteer at a gun club where we assisted folks in sighting in their guns before season. It blew my mind what people called "sighted in", or "accurate enough". So, in the spirit of Mr. Birds post, please spend some time at the range before heading to the field. Take a kid if you get a chance. :thumb -----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

leupoldmkIVm3
Fawn
Fawn

Post by leupoldmkIVm3 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm

You missed the part of my post where I said under ideal conditions. This for me means very little wind, and not on the verge of darkness. I'll give you the fact there are shooting schools out there, but in SW CO where I'm from, there's not enough time to get away from work, or more importantly, the family, so you just shoot at targets in windy conditions and learn from the results on paper. These results have told me if the wind is up, you better wait for another day if you cant get closer. If the wind is calm and the rest steady, I'm comfortable way past four hundred yards. I was just sayin, its not worth it to risk wounding a critter because the wind was blowing five MPH at your shooting position, but through the canyon you're shooting acrosss its blowing 15 MPH. If I can't be sure of your shot, I dont shoot was my point.