de-resonator[sp??] question

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
killerbee

de-resonator[sp??] question

Post by killerbee » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:42 pm

i have never thought they did to much so i never thought of buying one.

my question: tonight i was watching a BEST OF THE WEST show. jerry porter was killing a grizzly. anyway, it appears he has wrapped a bunch of electrical tape close to the stock of the gun. i figure this takes place of a de- resonator. is this the case? am i missing it? can i get similer results of a de-resonator by just wrapping a bunch of electrical tape right up close to the stock?

it might be a very stupid question, but i see no other reason for his wrapping of, what appears to be electrical tape, by the stock??? what ya think?

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: de-resonator[sp??] question

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm

I have never worked with the slip-on typ de-resonators, but I have worked alot with the Browning BOSS system, and I did not see any definative improvements in accuracy by tuning the BOSS. I think that there is some benefit to de-resonation, but that it is so far down on the list of things that affect accuracy that you would be better served to focus on other things such as bullet/load, barrel fouling, and bedding. But, on the other hand, slipping a de-resonator on your barrel is easy and cheap, and anything that increases your confidence in accuracy will help you shoot better. However, I know many shooters that consistantly shoot MOA at 1000yds and I've never seen any tape on their barrels. Bottom line...I don't think that it makes any difference.-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:17 pm

i agree 100%, like i said i never even thought of buying a cheap , limbsavor deresonator. but the black tape threw me, why else would it be there?

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:36 pm

I've always been taught that nothing should touch your barrel because it messes with the harmonics. I have a BOSS on my rifle and like Shooter I have not had any luck dialing in a better grouping, it is a awesome muzzle break though.
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 am

The tape is probably there so you can pull a piece off and use it to cover the muzzle when it starts raining,I have seen Alaskan guides do this.There is NO way a piece of electrical tape is going to improve accuracy,same goes for the limbsaver IMO.