308 win

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
BlackCoyote
Spike
Spike

308 win

Post by BlackCoyote » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 am

I won a Stevens 308 WIN in a raffle...I know it's not the most quality gun, but should I spend some money on it to make it better, or set my sights on something else?
I'm not a rifle hunter (except my 223 for Yotes) and live in a shotgun only zone for whitetails but I would like to set up a decent rifle to hunt with out west.

What are the thoughts of this caliber, and this gun? Any suggestions would be a great help...I'm a longbow hunter so this new to me.

http://www.savagearms.com/st_200short.htm

Thanks, -drew

wingmaster36
2 point
2 point

Re: 308 win

Post by wingmaster36 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:00 am

Have a rifle basix trigger or other good aftermarket trigger installed and it will shoot with about anything. They are excellent little rifles other than the triggers tend to be spongey and a little heavy for really tight groups. The 308 is a great deer, antelope, and is very seviceable on elk.
"The things that are over my head are under God's feet." Adrian Rogers

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:59 pm

My family has grown up on .308s and they love them they are a pretty good all around gun. They can take down and elk and if it can do that, then that meets my expectations for a gun. lol Personally I think the gun is a great gun and a great caliber, If you decked it out that would be a very nice gun. I would put a nice Leupold or maybe if your up to it a swarovski.
I would take the time and make it a nice gun.
bc.pse
:thumb
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:16 am

I think that you will be very happy with this rifle and that it will exceed any expectations you have for it. Don't let the cheaper pricetag fool you, these stevens rifles can shoot. As far as the 308, not enough can be said for the excellent history this round has as an accurate, capable, shootable, big game cartridge. Put a VX II 3-9 scope on it, do the trigger if it bugs you, and enjoy the heck out of this rifle!-----shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen