Deer in the velvet

Talk anything Taxidermy related.
Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Deer in the velvet

Post by Tyewire » Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to take care of a bucks antlers in velvet? :-k . I have never taken one, and have drawn a tag in Utah in the early season for archery. I'm Not sure how to care for it and transport it. Or is it even real on the mounts? As you can tell I am ignorant on this issue. Thanks for any help.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

a_bow_nut

Re: Deer in the velvet

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed May 19, 2010 1:03 am

The way that we have done it on ours in the past is to first get the cape off of the head so that we don't get anything on it. The sooner that you can start this process started the easier it is to do. After the cape is off we start injecting the velvet with a liquid tanning solution. We start at the tips of the antlers and keep moving the needle around to different place until we find the veins that are under the velvet you will be able to see the vein pop up when you hit one. Once we find them we will keep pumping tanning fluid in them to push the blood out of the bottom of the aqntlers until we see the fluid coming out instead of blood. Just keep working your way down the antlers until all of the blood is out of the velvet. After that part is done then we will wash and lightly scrub down the out side of the velvet also. Then we just let the antlers set and let the tanning solution do it's work. After the velvet has dried and set up we will take a small soft brush and slowly start fluffing up the velvet had has been matted down through the tanning process.

You can find velvet tanning supplies at most taxidermy sites and most of them will have basic instructions with them to help out.

Hope that this helps in some way.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Wed May 19, 2010 6:31 am

Wow, thanks I had no idea. I will check with one and get some.

thanks again.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu May 20, 2010 11:20 pm

It's not as bad as it sounds and it's not like you have to do it right where you dropped the deer also. It's just that a the sooner that you get it done the easier it is and the better off you will be. It's just like the cape the better that you take care of it at first the better it is when it;s time to streach it over the form.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Thanks again. I will contact a taxidermist and see if I can get the tanning solution.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat May 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Tyewire:

Here's an article I wrote on the subject. Use this method only if you can't get it to a taxidermist in a timely manner or in a freezer quickly.

Generally when archery seasons begin out West, most monster mule deer will still be in the velvet stage of antler development. Many hunters want to preserve their velvet trophy, but are either not able to get it frozen and preserved or get it to a taxidermist in a timely manner. As a result, the velvet slips and they no longer have the ability to mount it with the velvet on. Here's what I've done over the years that's worked for me.

If you want to properly preserve velvet antlers IN THE FIELD, you will have to inject & brush them with formaldehyde and/or some of the new less toxic chemicals (4 in 1 solution works great as does Knobloch's antler in velvet tan). I personally prefer the 4 in 1 solution to Velvet Tan, as it was easier to use for me, however, both will work. A very respected taxidermist whose specialty was velvet antlers taught me this technique.

First, (using rubber gloves and eye protection) take a razor blade and make small incisions at the tips of all points (less than 1/8"). Next hang the antlers upside down, allowing the blood to drain. Starting at the bases inject the solution into the veins (you'll see and feel them) that follow the antler. You will begin to see the solution "push" out blood towards the tips. Continue injecting the solution as you work the untreated blood towards the tips. When you reach the ends, make sure you've treated ALL the veins on each antler. You'll quit injecting solution when the color of the solution is the same coming out as it was going in.

Allow the antlers to hang upside down overnight. After the solution/blood has stopped dripping out the ends, use a very fine painters brush and lightly brush the velvet with the solution. This will prevent bugs from entering the velvet that has no blood. After allowing the velvet to dry, lightly "brush" out the velvet to give it the natural uniform look. Remember; wear eye protection and gloves when using formaldehyde or any other chemicals. Slow down and don't be in a hurry to finish. If done correctly, your trophy will last forever.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat May 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Good info guys...

My question is if it's frozen, what's the procedure after that?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat May 22, 2010 7:20 pm

My question is if it's frozen, what's the procedure after that?
The taxidermist will either send them off to freeze dry the antlers or thaw them completely and inject them.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Sat May 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Thanks BOHNTR, Great info! My problem is being a long way from home. I might not be able to do as you say and get it to a taxidermist in a timely matter. I am going to do some home work on local taxidermist around our hunting area.
I really hope I do have this problem because that means I got a good buck :thumb

Anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Green River area of Utah?