Casper, Wy taxidermy.... be careful!!

Talk anything Taxidermy related.
plentycoupe
Fawn
Fawn

Casper, Wy taxidermy.... be careful!!

Post by plentycoupe » Mon May 30, 2011 3:43 am

So I finally managed to kill a nice bull elk. After 8 years of hunting with a longbow I moved to Alaska. On my first chance to make it back to Wyoming I was able to hunt and make friends with a great guy just outside of Jackson Hole.
I killed a nice 5x6 bull with a 338 federal.
Soon after I traveled to Casper to visit my dad. I had fleshed and salted the cape but it wasn't dry yet so rather than working the rest of it I called a taxidermist in town
Well he turned out to be the WRONG choice by far. He promised a great job and judging by the mounts in his shop he did good work. He promised that a friend of his would be able to get it to AK. He talked me out of detachable antlers, said it was impossible to get it to look right. Me being ignorant to the facts agreed.
He promised it would be done by a year.
I made the mistake of paying for everything up front.
After a year I had my dad go talk to him. Everytime we made contact he said he was just about to start it.
Well I made it down there 14 mnths later and when I went to shop again he was just about to start, had the hide soaking he said. Then he made the mistake of telling me the one he was just finishing was a Christmas rush and theh guy had paid cash!!! Boy was I p#$$%d. I had paid already as well, difference was I was not in town to do anything about it.
Well he got it done, now all of the sudden he couldn't get it to AK.
I made arrangements to have it shipped by someone else, the guy I should have found in the first place!!!!
When I got it the face looked great, BUT you can see the skull plate at the back of the base of the antlers, there is also some hair on the right ear that has a smear of glue on it and the antlers looked like he just hurried with what ever he covered them with.
I called him on this and he blamed it on the guy who shipped it!
HUGE mistake on my part but this guy is a liar and down right crooked when it comes to the work he provided. If you are interested and hunt that area let me know I will PM the name of his business. The only thing he was good at was his salesmanship!!!!!!!
He took me............lessons learned I guess!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: Casper, Wy taxidermy.... be careful!!

Post by sneekeepete » Mon May 30, 2011 5:36 am

I am sorry to hear that... At least you have it in your possesion now though and can bring it to someone you trust to fix it. It is just too bad you got cheated out of the money and time.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

plentycoupe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by plentycoupe » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:31 pm

Thanks sneekeepete, Sometimes the best lessons learned are the hardest as well!

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:15 am

Well I spend alot of time up in the Casper area where I hunt. I would like to know the taxidermist so I can avoid dealing with this guy please PM me.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 am

Any good taxidermists you guys would recommend? If I get an antelope this year I'd like to get it mounted and any info would be greatly appreciated.
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

plentycoupe
Fawn
Fawn

Post by plentycoupe » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:27 am

If you get your goat, go talk to John Stevenson in Evensville. Great guy. His business is Wyoming Taxidermy. Excellent organization and great work.

Bigd7400
Spike
Spike

Post by Bigd7400 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:13 am

thanks plentycoupe! Thats right near Casper right? If so thats perfect cause it won't be too far away from my area. Now all I gotta do is get one on the ground!
Dreaming of tall tines a straight shots.

260 rem
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 260 rem » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:43 pm

Plentycoupe, I just filed a BBB complaint against the same taxidermist, FYI.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:31 pm

Taxidermists will tell you whatever you want to hear,talk to their customers,thats how you get the truth.

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:31 pm

so who is this TAXI??????