Looking for elk guide or outfitter

Talk anything related Guides & Outfitters
Sponsored by: http://huntingoutfitters.net/
Jmarsh
Fawn
Fawn

Looking for elk guide or outfitter

Post by Jmarsh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I am looking for a good guide or outfitter for my dad and me for 2011. We are looking for an otc state/area to hunt for good bulls. We will be hunting with rifles and would like to find someone to help us with our first elk hunt. Please feel free to contact me via email or pm with any suggestions. My email is jhunt421@aol.com.

Jmarsh
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Looking for elk guide or outfitter

Post by Jmarsh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 am

Anyone have any suggestions?

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 pm

what state and unit are you looking at?
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

Jmarsh
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Jmarsh » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Looking for colorado just because of the otc tags, but not real picky. Looking for a good hunt to take my dad on. Around $4000 would be nice. If anyone has any suggestions, im open!

wbird
Fawn
Fawn

Post by wbird » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Jmarsh,
The first question I would ask any outfitter is "do you hunt private or public?"
There a many good bulls on public land in Colorado, but, the number one factor in the percentage of success is the amount of hunting pressure on the herds. Riding in 10 miles on a horse to try and get away from other hunters and get on animals that have not been bothered will only gaurantee you the horseback riding experiance of a lifetime, as others may be hunting the same area.
Planning is half the fun, hopefully the hunt will be as well.
Just my .02
wbird

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:48 pm

I would try Dave at Bighorn Outfitters if you are interested in Idaho. He has been there for 15 - 20 years and hunts the Wilderness area of the Bighorn Craggs.
He is an honest outfitter and will do his best to get you guy's bulls. He has a very good success rate but has had some issues with the wolves.

http://huntidaho.com/

If you talk to him tell him Chuck sent you.
lol
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

Hunt2Live
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Hunt2Live » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 am

Give Mike Bondurant a call, 303.704.7765 He is the owner of La Garita Outfitters. They have pretty good success and I believe it is an over the counter tag for 2nd season and a low point draw for 1st season. The camp is in the La Garita Wilderness which is pretty amazing all in its own. Look them up on the net. If you do talk to them, make sure you tell him that Cameron sent you.

HOOTANDKELSEY
Fawn
Fawn

Post by HOOTANDKELSEY » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:48 pm

LEE'S HUNTING CONSULTANTS HAVE A HUNT IN NEW MEXICO FOR ELK AND MULE DEER. AVAILABLE 280-300 CLASS ELK ARE VERY POSSIBLE.WITH 95% SUCCESS RATE. CALL FRANK LEE AT 814-634-8461. HAS OTHER HUNTS AVAILABLE FOR COLORADO AND NORTHERN QUEBEC.ALL HUNTS ARE INCLUSIVE.

SoleSearcher
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SoleSearcher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:17 pm

As a former guide here in colorado I know how difficult it can be to select an outfitter. Being exposed to alot of clients over the years it didn't take long to be real empathetic given some of the "outfitting horror stories" from guys that went on over-hyped hunts with outfitters that at the end of the day only really cared about getting your hard-earned dollar. I retired from guiding back around 2004 but know of one outfit I could recommend with absolute confidence in and that is J&D Outfitters & Guide Service owned and operated by Doyle Worbington. J&D runs several operations across the state for Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Antelope and Bear. Thanks to years of providing outstanding hunts to his clients, you won't find any real advertising for his hunts as he stays busy with repeat clientele and word of mouth business. In 2004, Doyle purchased the outfit where I had guided for the prior 8 years as the old owner was getting up there in years and was ready to retire. I only guided for Doyle for just a few hunts then chose to retire because my full time job was too time demanding and we had just had twin boys. Doyle bought High park lodge and took a first class outfit to the next level. If I remember right he personally guided for about 11 years before he bought his first outfit so he knows the business and the animals from the ground up. As I am sure is true of all his colorado outfits, High park lodge offers outstanding lodge-based elk hunting on a combination of BLM, National Forest and really great private leases........very high success rates. I know he has some openings for the coming fall and you and your dad would have a hunt of a lifetime within your advertised budget. You would be doing yourself a disservice by not at least giving him a call and checking out his website at
http://www.jdoutfitters.com/hunts/high-park-lodge-hunt
I am not associated with them in any way but thanks to firsthand knowledge I can highly recommend them. Feel free to pm me if I can answer any more questions. I sure miss it up there but with 4 young sons it just isn't in the cards to disappear to the lodge for three months anymore. Good luck finding a great hunt for you and your dad!

Sincerely,
Jeremy
"ALWAYS AN ADVENTURE, NEVER AN ORDEAL"