DIY or Outfitters

Talk anything related Guides & Outfitters
Sponsored by: http://huntingoutfitters.net/
lowcountrykiller
Fawn
Fawn

DIY or Outfitters

Post by lowcountrykiller » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:52 pm

If you cant get the whole hunting experience by doing it yourself then what is the real reward?

Turokman123
2 point
2 point

Re: DIY or Outfitters

Post by Turokman123 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:27 am

lowcountrykiller wrote:If you cant get the whole hunting experience by doing it yourself then what is the real reward?
Can't? That's the only way I know how to get the full experience. Many people also believe that too, if you do everything yourself and you go through countless hours of prep and days of scouting at even a shot at a public land trophy, I feel way better than paying someone else to do it for me. The only good thing about outfitters is the percent rate of antlers on the wall....and that's not even guaranteed
2010 Strother SR-71 390 grain arrow @ ~60# >-------> 298 FPS with 74.6 KE. Slick Trick Army.
"Is it elk season yet?"

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Outfitters have their place in the world. Well, the reputable ones.

When is the last time you have hunted out of state for a species you've never hunted for and had to fly into the area? How many on this board can honestly say they would do a DIY hunt in Quebec for caribou? Grizzlies or Kodiaks in Alaska? Red stag in New Zealand? Cape buffalo in Africa?

These might seem like examples of, "Well, of COURSE I would have a guide for those hunts, but no way I could afford something like that unless I saved for years!"

Guess what? There a folks in other parts of this country that have dreamed of hunting elk for YEARS and they are not rich. So they save up for a few years and want to harvest what they feel will be their trophy of a lifetime. So, I don't blame them for using an outfitter to help them accomplish that dream.

Yes, I live in the south, but born and raised in CO. Hunt every year I can in CO to this day, all DIY. But let me turn the question around on the OP.

You want to come down here and do a DIY gator hunt? How about the second poster? Do you have the boat and know where to go? Do you know when and where it is legal to hunt for them? Do you know how to get a tag? Have you ever been in the bayous in the black of night and know how to get back to the boat ramp? Do you even know how to get to the boat ramp?

Don't get down on folks who want to hire a guide or outfitter. Folks want to enjoy their hunts that they have saved for and want to have a reasonable chance at success. Try getting out of your comfort zone and try to understand things from someone else's eyes before discounting guides and outfitters.

And, yes, I have used guides before. If I hadn't, I'd never had the chance to catch barramundi in Australia, peacock bass in Panama and striped marlin in Cabo San Lucas.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Post by waspocrew » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:36 pm

ABert wrote:Outfitters have their place in the world. Well, the reputable ones.

When is the last time you have hunted out of state for a species you've never hunted for and had to fly into the area? How many on this board can honestly say they would do a DIY hunt in Quebec for caribou? Grizzlies or Kodiaks in Alaska? Red stag in New Zealand? Cape buffalo in Africa?

These might seem like examples of, "Well, of COURSE I would have a guide for those hunts, but no way I could afford something like that unless I saved for years!"

Guess what? There a folks in other parts of this country that have dreamed of hunting elk for YEARS and they are not rich. So they save up for a few years and want to harvest what they feel will be their trophy of a lifetime. So, I don't blame them for using an outfitter to help them accomplish that dream.

Yes, I live in the south, but born and raised in CO. Hunt every year I can in CO to this day, all DIY. But let me turn the question around on the OP.

You want to come down here and do a DIY gator hunt? How about the second poster? Do you have the boat and know where to go? Do you know when and where it is legal to hunt for them? Do you know how to get a tag? Have you ever been in the bayous in the black of night and know how to get back to the boat ramp? Do you even know how to get to the boat ramp?

Don't get down on folks who want to hire a guide or outfitter. Folks want to enjoy their hunts that they have saved for and want to have a reasonable chance at success. Try getting out of your comfort zone and try to understand things from someone else's eyes before discounting guides and outfitters.

And, yes, I have used guides before. If I hadn't, I'd never had the chance to catch barramundi in Australia, peacock bass in Panama and striped marlin in Cabo San Lucas.
That's a great post ABert. I want to do a hunt in AK sometime during my life and I see no problem with hiring a guide. If I was an AK resident, it'd be a whole different story and I'd want to DIY

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:19 pm

first off, I'm no outfitter, and no longer guide, but I wonder how many people would change their tune when they have the hunt of a lifetime on their hands, in a state they can't scout enough?
you ver wonder what elk season would be like if you didn't even have to think twice about food and board?

don't get me wrong, I'm as die hard as anyone- I've done 10 days by myself, kellid bulls and packed them as much as 5 miles BY MYSELF.

I live off of hunting BY MYSELF- but it is nothing more than ignorance to say you can't have a great hunt when you hire an outfitter.

it simply is the partial jealous nature of people to put down something they can't afford OR something they have yet to try.

I'll strap on the backpack and go in with anyone, but I'll also defer to the pro's when the time is right :thumb