what guide services in AZ lack ethics?

Talk anything related Guides & Outfitters
Sponsored by: http://huntingoutfitters.net/
waspocrew
4 point
4 point

Re: what guide services in AZ lack ethics?

Post by waspocrew » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:40 am

Man this thread is making me sick... it's too bad that guys will go to tactics like this. I've heard of outfitters in my area contacting LE tag holders and basically forcing them to hire them. If not, the guides will push the elk out of the areas. Not entirely sure on how much truth there is to it, but it definitely makes me nervous and ticked!

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:52 pm

My family has property in Utah that is smack in between several CWMUs. We've had the CWMU operator from one unit "guiding" his clients onto our land for moose. Interestingly enough we'd give him all the permission in the world to do so if he paid the trespass fee... but with his "entitlement issues" you can guess how that went over. Now we have the DWR and the County Sheriff's backing us and he's been "removed" from the property by the authorities on more than one occasion. I haven't heard of any problems with him in the last 5 or so moose seasons.
This same guy would also send his minions on horseback onto our property to push the small elk herd onto his for "his paying clients." He hasn't done it in the last 15 years or so... because the elk were removed (State traded them to Kentucky for a bunch of turkey, crap trade IMO). I would venture to guess we might start seeing it again as a handful of elk have moved back onto our property.
No one state or group or area is immune to this, as long as big dollar signs flash in these "guides" heads, they will always try this crap.
It's especially irritating when Everyday Joe tries antics like this though. I had a trail camera moved (the guy pointed it up towards the sky) when he came across it on the archery hunt. Not sure why a guy would feel the need or desire to do that... make a face at it or maybe a gesture and move on, leave it alone.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore

gizmo1
2 point
2 point

Post by gizmo1 » Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 pm

i do know that many states have laws against intentionally disturbing one's hunt. Texas does and Colorado does (or at least used to). The other end is getting anyone one to do anything about it. It is a misdemeanor crime and has to be in the presence of a law enforcement official, i.e. the game warden, before it is enforceable. It is terrible that we live in a time that this has become common place.
Romans 13: 1-4

TheHardWay
2 point
2 point

Post by TheHardWay » Fri May 18, 2012 7:02 pm

gizmo1 wrote:i do know that many states have laws against intentionally disturbing one's hunt. Texas does and Colorado does (or at least used to). The other end is getting anyone one to do anything about it. It is a misdemeanor crime and has to be in the presence of a law enforcement official, i.e. the game warden, before it is enforceable. It is terrible that we live in a time that this has become common place.

Still is. Rule #18 in the "It's against the law to:" section. "Interfere with hunters. This includes distracting or frightening prey; causing prey to flee by using light or noise; chasing prey on foot or by vehicle; throwing objects; making movements; harassing hunters by using threats or actions; erecting barriers to deny access to hunting areas and intentionally injecting yourself int the line of fire. Violators face prosecution and may have to pay victim's damages and court costs."

I have no time for these big time outfitters that pull stunts like this. I have heard of several instances of a paticular outfitter in Utah, who happens to also have a line of DVD videos, pull this crap. Hooligans putting up signs telling other hunters to keep out of an area because they are filming a hunt. I can't personally claim that I have seen it, since I have yet to draw a Utah tag :>/, but I have heard it from friends that have hunted there. Makes me want to punch this guy right between the eyes.

Madhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Madhunter » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:23 pm

I had a had a terrible experience with an outfitter outside of Tuscon. The whole experience blew up into a violation being cited, not towards the outfitter though! After talking to the warden, he said that outfitter has been in hot water a few times. All we can do is hope that one day actions catch up to this outfitters and others that don't do it the ethical responsible way!