Colorado Man Guilty of Poaching Samson Bull Elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Colorado Man Guilty of Poaching Samson Bull Elk

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:59 pm

Ya know, all poaching really disturbs me and I hope they all get the max penalties allowed by law. However, these folks that are part of the "business" of hunting really chap my rear! You would think that folks that make a living in this arena would have a vested interest in STOPPING poachers...not participating with them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary R. Jordan, 58, President of the Colorado Outdoor Adventure Guide School (COAGS) located near Victor, has pled guilty in Fourth Judicial District Court to unlawfully hunting elk without a proper and valid license, and the illegal take of a Samson bull elk. Original charges also included making a false statement in the application of a hunting license, forgery, and criminal impersonation.

Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) Officer Tonya Sharp received information on September 17, 2006 that Jordan shot a bull elk during the 2006 muzzleloader season. Through investigations and interviews, Sharp determined that Jordan did not have an elk license for that season, but instead used an employee's license. Sharp recovered the elk meat from a Colorado Springs meat processor and the antlers from a Teller County taxidermist.

On October 19, a search warrant was executed at COAGS by DOW wildlife officers, USFS law enforcement, and the Teller County Sheriff's department and Jordan was placed under arrest. Subsequent interviews with students attending the COAGS Pro-Guiding School indicated they assisted in packing out the elk.

Jordan was assessed $12,729 in fines. An administrative hearing will be held to determine if his hunting and fishing privileges will be revoked and for how long. Jordan has forfeited the muzzleloader rifle used in the crime. He has also been ordered to donate $2,000 to DOW's Operation Game Thief program that awards payments to citizens who turn in poachers.

Sharp points out that more and more prosecutors in Colorado are getting tough on poachers. "This case is great example of how the Division of Wildlife and the District Attorney's Office in the Fourth District worked together to make sure justice was served."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:41 am

more and more prosecutors in Colorado are getting tough on poachers.
Good! :thumb

BrokenBone
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BrokenBone » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:24 am

I believe the tougher they get on poachers, and then show the result in the media, the less poaching may occur. I think it is like a rolling ball. If we can get it started, and sportsman will see how they can help, and get on the ball, it will get bigger and bigger and maybe someday, people won't dare to try to poach. We know the eyes are out there now, and everyone packs a video camera nowdays, so lets use them and get this problem turned around. They are the public's animals and so the public need to help law enforcement police while they are out enjoying the love of the outdoors. =D> =D>
Just seeing the amazing things in the outdoors serve as MY stress relief!