Any Idaho elk hunters?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

cougar pt

Post by PAtrooper » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:57 pm

Once again thank you!! I figure a mile in the bush will put me right near the area the IDFG told me about. Also, Acording to my aerial photos, It looks like a pretty good mixture of timber and open parks. Are you going to hunt in that area this year? I'll be out from 10/15 to 10/23.
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

IdMDHNTR
Fawn
Fawn

Elk

Post by IdMDHNTR » Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:48 pm

Ill be hunting up around salmon but not in that general area. I have been hunting up on lost trail pass. Its a ski resort on the border of montana. I like it because not many Idaho hunters know about the spot because they think it is in montana. It starts out in montana but then bends back into idaho. Its good because the montana season opens later than ours. I cow called in a big 6x6 in the timber but didnt get a shot because i bumped his cows. I will probably be headin up around 10/15.

PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

elk

Post by PAtrooper » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:39 pm

Ok. We are staying at wagons west motel on rt 93. Maybe I'll catch up with you. I owe you a beer
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

one more thing

Post by PAtrooper » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:12 pm

What do you think the hunting pressure will be like around the Cougar point? Seems pretty easily accessible
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

IdMDHNTR
Fawn
Fawn

elk

Post by IdMDHNTR » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:23 pm

That is right where we stayed when we were there. That is crazy! I am not sure what the pressure will be like because i was there for the late season cow but when i was there there were only a few other hunters but that didnt matter because there was a whole lot of mountain.

PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PAtrooper » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:39 pm

you're right, that is crazy. I picked that motel because it has a hot tub to rest my aching muscles. LOL How long of a ride was it for you to get from salmon to the hunting area? Are the roads decent out there?
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:09 pm

:D we will be hunting in unit 49. my fourteen year old son pulled a bull tag this year,should be a good hunt. up above fishcreek res. areaor farter north. rick

6ptorbust
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Any Idaho elk hunters?

Post by 6ptorbust » Fri May 27, 2005 12:11 pm

IdMDHNTR wrote:Hey was just interested to see how many Idaho elk hunters there are. I love ID and hunt in the Salmon zone. Just wanna hear and trade good old ID hunting stories. Thanks
IdMDHNTR
4 of us are hunting deer and elk in a drop camp in unit 20A. We are all using rifles and the hunt runs sept 15-30. Prime rut time. Cant wait till Sept. We have all killed elk before but not in Idaho. The key for us in a drop camp will be covering as much ground as possible and hunting from sun-up till sun-down. The other thing that made this camp attractive is the fact this terraine is rugged and we have the outfitters horses to haul any game out, so humping the game out on your back wont be neccessary. Big advantage.

IdahoMuley
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoMuley » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:00 pm

I usaly hunt 23 for elk but this year i put in for 31 its the unit above brownlee.
Muley Man!

LIVE2HUNT
Spike
Spike

Post by LIVE2HUNT » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:19 pm

HEY GUYS, SINCE THE TOPIC OF ELK IN IDAHO CAME UP, COULD ANYONE SHARE SOME INFO ON THE WOLF PROBLEMS I'VE BEEN HEARING ABOUT? I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO REVISITING THE BEAR VALLEY AREA. BUT I'VE HEARD THAT THE WOLFS HAVE REALLY DEVISTATED THE HEARDS IN AND AROUND CENTRAL IDAHO. ANY NEWS FROM THE HOMEFRONT?