B&C Spike (pics)-post them here

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Re: B&C Spike (pics)-post them here

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:53 am

My dad didn't have any luck on opening day of the hunt but he did take these pictures while he was headed off the mountain! I sure can't wait to get home at the end of the week and get on the mountain :thumb
Attachments
Skyline 0031.JPG
Skyline 002.JPG
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:08 am

sneekeepete wrote:My dad didn't have any luck on opening day of the hunt but he did take these pictures while he was headed off the mountain! I sure can't wait to get home at the end of the week and get on the mountain :thumb
Now that's the kind of weather I live for hunting in. It was sure hard to sit there in the house watching the snow fall in our hunting spot and not be able to get out there and chase some elk. I dont know how they can tell 2 weeks out, but the weather i saw is saying another storm is headed for Utah for the general deer opener. Should make for another great season if it does.

Congrats to the young hunter sitting on his first bull. 10sign: I hope we all can grin just as big as him no matter what we put in the freezer this year.

BTW i heard that if you take your unfilled tag and put it in the freezer between two packages of last years meat and let it sit there for a week or two then you can boil it down and make some great tasting soup.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:58 am

Congrats on that first bull! My first was a spike also and after taking a world class spike two years ago. My wife wants me not to take anything bigger because it has been some of the best tasting meat we've ever had. Unfortunately, I could only find branch antlered bulls this year.
There's always next year

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:16 am

AGCHAWK, were is this video from last years hunts? (???) I'd like to see it.
There's always next year

Treetard
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Treetard » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:23 am

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:10 pm

NICE JOB TREE TARD. BUT THAT IS NOT A B&C SPIKE THAT THERE IS A POPE AND YOUNG lol

CONGRATS. DO YOU HAVE A STORY TO GO ALONG WITH IT? WHAT WAS YOUR EQUIPMENT (BOW, ARROWS, BROADHEADS) AND HOW FAR DID YOU HAVE TO TRACK HIM?
Deadi

numbnutz
2 point
2 point

Post by numbnutz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 pm

congrats to the young hunter on his first bull =D> . you guys will have to wait 3 weeks till my spike only hunt.
lifes short, Hunt hard!!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:46 pm

Nice work fellas, welcome Treetard. :thumb

canyonhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by canyonhunter » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:35 pm

My Spike hunt started out like many others do by waking up at 5:30 in the morning. We started to head up on the mountain, although we couldn't see it through the dense clouds that hung over it. About half way up the mountain it started raining. We got up to the top in a blizzard. We stopped the truck to listen. We were sitting there for about 2 minutes when we heard an elk bugle about 150 yards away. We got and and started following the sounds of the elk bugling. We then heard another elk and my dad said that it would be a satellite bull and most likely a spike. We topped over a hill only to hear a jeep about 250 yards to the north and then an elk busting out of the quakes about 60 yards to our right it was a spike but it was running so fast through the quakes I wouldn't have had a shot. Come to find out that the jeep we heard drove through the trees were there wasn't even a road. After that we drove around the mountain in the blizzard and got a new paint job on our truck, mud brown. On Monday night we went up into a place where my dad had seen 5 different spikes about 2 weeks earlier. We got up there and headed down to a place we call the blown down which was one of the places my dad had seen some spikes. We were coming over the hill when we heard a bull bugle and bugle as it was coming closer. We crouched down under a pine tree and about a minute later, we see a bull come around the hill(a pretty six point that would go about 340, its swords was about 25 inches long). We were watching it as it came closer and closer to about 35 yards when we heard something big on the other side of the hill. The bull took off and we walked over the hill only to find a dead spike(I found out later that my friend had shot it on opening night. Before we went up there that night my dad called his cousin to check out a place we had seen 5 spikes in last year. That night when we got back home my dads cousin called and said he had gone up there and seen a spike. The next day I left school early so we could make it up there in time for the night hunt. As soon as we got to my dads cousins house we headed up on the mountain. We were there for about 10 minutes when we heard a rhino coming up the road. We knew the guy was going to go down into where these elk were and he would scare them out of the country so I grabbed my gun and started to walk down into where the elk were. The guy topped over the hill and seen us going down in there so he turned around and left. We had to walk about a mile til we got to where the elk where going to be. When we got about 100 yards down the hill and told us the elk where at the spring. We where walking down a four wheeler road that was total gravel so it was going to hard to be quite. When we got out of the oak we could see the elk about 700 yards away too far and we knew where they were going so we decided not to shoot. We walked down a little ravine and then topped back over the hill and could see the spike at 412. My dad layed down his pack for me to shoot off of. I laid down, put my scope on its highest power(9), and my dad said put it right on it, then he said you're on the spike not the bull right. I took a deer breath and.......BANG! did I hit him I i asked as soon as I had reloaded and looked back into the scope. Yeah hes limpin' shoot him again my dad said. By now excitement had set in BANG! you missed my dad said BANG! you missed BANG! you missedNow we had to reload as I was handing my dad the bullets he dropped one, I gave him th last bullet I had with me BANG! you missed BANG! you missed CLICK I had'nt gotten a bullet in you're jerking the trigger my dad said oops now the elk laid down and we had to move so I could get a good shot. BANG! you hit him low in the leg. BANG! the elk starts tumbling down the hill. After about 5 shots my cousins started coming down. We were sitting there looking for the bullet we had dropped when I look back over at the elk. The elk is looking at us but I had broke its back and it couldn't stand up. We found the bullet but didn't shot from there incase I missed again. We walked over there and I finished him off. We started quartering it out when I realized I had left my license in town. We called my cousin Seth and he brought it up to us. What can I say I got excited and couldn't hit the thing.

Sorry my pictures aren't very good, I'll try to post some better ones.
Attachments
mail.google.com.jpg
mail.google.com.jpg (13.04 KiB) Viewed 5881 times
1st Elk 08.jpg
1st Elk 08.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
Last edited by canyonhunter on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwp
Spike
Spike

Post by cwp » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:11 pm

Here is a pic of one of the spikes out of our camp
GetAttachment[2].jpg
GetAttachment[2].jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 5899 times
Cory
Attachments
GetAttachment[1].jpg
GetAttachment[1].jpg (8.94 KiB) Viewed 5897 times