Finally! First Bull Elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Finally! First Bull Elk

Post by lunkerjunker » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:43 pm

I was late getting to my spot as usual so I was glad to see only 1 truck parked nearby. I headed up the faint trail easily as it was light enough to see and after about 15 minutes of hiking I thought I heard a bugle so I stopped to listen. I was pretty sure I had imagined it or it was another hunter trying out his new call. I heard it again a few minutes later and hurried up the trail to an open spot where I could see better.
As I came out of the trees I could see some upper slopes across a canyon and immediately spotted a few elk. I was watching a nice bull when I saw him bugle. I have been hunting this spot for 3 or so years now and have never heard a bugle or cow so needless to say I was excited.
As I reached the top of the ridge I could still see the elk in about the same place as they were before but they seemed to be slowly heading further up the canyon. There were 4 or 5 bulls and three or so cows so I hoped maybe I could get ahead of them and get a chance at any one of them.
I tried to move quickly down into the canyon but that was not too easy as thick as it is. At this point I could hear all kinds of bugling so I angled up the other side of the canyon thinking I was still in front of them. There was a bugle directly in front of me that sounded pretty close so I stopped and waited for a few minutes. The wind swirled and felt good on the back of my neck...uh oh! I was still hearing some bugles a ways up the canyon but I was sure I was busted. Oh well, business as usual for me.
The area was pretty open and there was a large pine about 25 yds ahead of me. I could hear twigs breaking and the rustling of leaves beyond the pine so I nocked an arrow and waited. I half expected to see another hunter pop out from the other side of the tree but instead it was a big bull! I nearly crapped my pants as I drew back and he stopped just as his shoulder was covered by a bush so I held for about 20 seconds waiting for him to run off, but instead he started moving forward again. As soon as he cleared that bush I let it go and.. Whack! I could just see my fletching behind his left shoulder as he ran down the hill. I was in shock, I just hit a bull from 25yds.
I called my two buddies and to their credit they dropped everything and got to me in less than 90 min. I was waiting at the spot where the bull was when I hit him and I couldn't find any blood so that hour and a half was agonizing. I re-thought my shot placement a thousand times.
As the three of us started down the hill from the last spot I saw him it didn't take long to find him. Maybe 75yds and there he was, piled up! My first elk, heck my first anything for that matter!
I’m still in shock.
Thanks to Greg, Jake and Dan. I couldn't have gotten him down without your help. I hope I can return the favor soon.
Attachments
IMGP2960a.JPG
IMGP2960a.JPG (136.59 KiB) Viewed 6372 times
IMG_1419a.JPG
IMG_1419a.JPG (194.16 KiB) Viewed 6372 times

killerbee

Re: Finally! First Bull Elk

Post by killerbee » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:49 pm

AWSOME! congrats to you on your first bull. i bet your adrenaline was off the charts! thanks for posting

rettro
Fawn
Fawn

Post by rettro » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Great story thanks for sharing.
"shake & bake"
"If yer not first yer last"

Buckmaster
4 point
4 point

Post by Buckmaster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:13 pm

Congrats and thanks for sharing! 10sign:
"I love it when a plan comes together"
<-------<<<

My Photo page
http://www.muleymadness.com/gallery/v/m ... uckmaster/
http://www.badlandspacks.com/

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:42 pm

Congrats on a heck of a first bull, let alone first anything! :thumb
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:13 am

See! Being late isn't always a BAD THING!

CONGRATS on a FINE first bull!!!!!

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:30 am

Great first bull Congrats! =D>
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Post by lunkerjunker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:26 am

AWSOME! congrats to you on your first bull. i bet your adrenaline was off the charts! thanks for posting
Thanks! Actually the adrenaline didn't start until after the shot, it was shock initially since I couldn't belive he was right in front of me. I just about passed out after I shot.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:59 am

Congrats on the BIG accomplishment. :thumb

Thanks for sharing with us all.

JeffJ84
Fawn
Fawn

Post by JeffJ84 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:49 pm