18%
36%
15%
380+
12%

Total votes: 74

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:26 am

I'm also from the "Raghorn" state. I killed the largest bull I've seen while hunting with a bull tag in my pocket.....a 280ish, 6 point. That year I passed on a lot of smaller bulls, waiting and holding out for a decent one, as I had my mind made up on a bull that I could put on my wall. So far I've been blessed with 13 Colorado elk. My family loves to eat elk and if dad doesn't bring home one, I hear about it.
I plan on hunting for elk out of state more in the future and hope to someday draw a Utah LE tag, a good NM tag, WY limited area or a MT tag, where big bulls live and then I'd want to hold out for a 350ish bull. This fall I have a solo, DIY, Wyoming wapiti hunt planned. Hopefully I'll get a crack at a decent bull.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:00 am

I used to guide in Colorado, a 280 class bull is very good on most units there, congrats. I would say a 280 bull in the parts of Colorado I am familiar with is comparable with a 380 bull here in Utah. I guided many hunters who shot 240-280 class bulls and to them it was a trophy of a lifetime, course they were all form the eastern half of the country. Alot of them sent the head to the taxidermy shop for a permanent reminder of their exciting trophy hunt. Even though I get paid to find bulls of a certain score here in Utah, I believe that too much is focused on the score of the bull. In Utah what other choice do you have? You wait for 15+ years to draw, are you going to kill a 290 class bull opening morning? Not likely. Yet, how many Utah hunters would/should be happy with a 300-350 class bull?

Good feedback guys, thanks.

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

mossyoak24
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mossyoak24 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:48 am

My first elk was a little 4x4 bull the way i was screaming, you would have thought i killed a 400 class bull. Then the following year i killed a nice 6x6 bul that scored right at 300 and man was i happy with him, he was perfect all around with no broken points.
"daniel junction is a gate to gods country"

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:15 am

Congrats mossy! Nothing wrong with screaming when you kill a 'trophy' elk/deer. That is why we do what we do!

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:20 pm

I guess i've been spoiled being a guide for one of the biggest outfitters in the western US and slamming big bulls for 13 years...i voted 370" as a "trophy" in my book, especially being from Utah.
But when i think about it, any bull on the ground is considered a "trophy". :thumb

jpscouting
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jpscouting » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Being from the same state (Oregon) as Killerbee, I also agree with him that a 315+ bull would be a trophy in this state. I've seen bigger here in Oregon and they are out there, but they are few. But I also agree that the trophy is in the eye of the hunter. I've had clients that have been hunting over 30 years and never had a shot at a 6 point bull. They could shoot a 270 class 6x6 and think that the bull was the biggest thing on earth to them. Good subject, but tough question with a lot of opinions.
JP'S Scouting Service

MuleyCrazed
Spike
Spike

Post by MuleyCrazed » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:58 pm

You know, I voted 370 but I will say I shot a 303 bull last year and its a trophy to me. I just think the ultimate would be a 370 class bull. At least thats what I'm going to be looking for now. Last year was also my first bull, so I set the bar kinda high....
MuleyCrazed
Idaho

Born to Hunt! Forced to Work...

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:07 am

Comm'on guys... do you know how many people would love to hunt elk and never get the chance or do not know how etc? Moving fromthe east coast to Colorado I think any bull "can be" a trophy bull. If you always dreamed of elk and finally get the chance it is not about the number you put on them - its about the magnificent animal. in terms of a trophy for the sake of numbers there is nothing wrong with a typical 260-270. I knew a guy who had a non typical 7x11 with palmated antlers... isn't that a tophy as well?

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:23 pm

honestly there are many factors to the trophy size to me but i said 350 that is the magic number to me! i think it al depends on state,draw unit or open, and rifle or bow . but in any draw unit here in utah that i put in for a 350 would be one i would not pass on for sure, but on an open anything legal id shoot!

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:25 am

If I draw the tag on our place i wont consider cuttin a tag on anything less than 350 until the LASt day,if i dont draw ill shoot a spike or cow first opportunity,if im goin horn huntin i want a 350+ bull,anything smaller just isnt very imprssive to me,I have a pile of smaller horned bulls i have shot sittin on top of the cabin,if I shoot a 350 bull its goin on the wall,my biggest so far is 330,its in the pile.