Elk hunting on a budget

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
iditarodgrizzly
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Elk hunting on a budget

Post by iditarodgrizzly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am

Hi, I just moved from Garrett County Maryland to California. We live on Deep Creek Lake. It is 1742 miles from my house on Deep Creek to Unit 33 in Colorado just above New Castle. Tell me, are you wanting to rifle or bow hunt. I was in your position in 2002. I did my homework for Unit 33. Went to asking around. Luckily we had 5 guys from my church that went every year. Anyway, BOW OR RIFLE?? Then I can help you get started for a do it yourself hunt.
When was the last time I did something for the FIRST time?

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 am

iditarodgrizzly wrote:Hi, I just moved from Garrett County Maryland to California. We live on Deep Creek Lake. It is 1742 miles from my house on Deep Creek to Unit 33 in Colorado just above New Castle. Tell me, are you wanting to rifle or bow hunt. I was in your position in 2002. I did my homework for Unit 33. Went to asking around. Luckily we had 5 guys from my church that went every year. Anyway, BOW OR RIFLE?? Then I can help you get started for a do it yourself hunt.
you will fit right in this site! welcome to muleymadness!!

iditarodgrizzly
Fawn
Fawn

Post by iditarodgrizzly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks!!

What we did was ordered a topo map of units 23, 24, 33 from National Geographic. Then I took the map to people to have them show me where they had hunted. They will give you nicknames for places like; corral, gravel bar, cliffs, spring cabin, sheephearders cabin, cattle guard. These will be locations that most hunters that hunt in these units will be familiar with. If going 2nd or 3rd rifle season, those tags are over the counter for elk. Unlimited. 1st. rifle season is a draw.
Bow season in this area is a draw but they do have over the counter tags for archery, just check on which unit. Find you unit and I can hook you up with one of the guys to give you some coordinates to hunt. Buy a handheld GPS. They come in handy.
When was the last time I did something for the FIRST time?