Age of my Dads Bull

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
JLROOT
2 point
2 point

Post by JLROOT » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Up, down, peaked?!!!! Who cares?! That is one great looking elk!!!

If I had one like that on my 40 yard pin I dont know if I would be able to steady the shot long enough to squeeze my release. Talk about buck fever. jeeze!!!

I have always stated that I would rather have a buck or bull just pop up as appossed to watching them come in. Im getting the shakes just thinking about it
A 'Veteran' whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:29 am

According to most of the elk biologists I have asked, elk don't start regressing until they are 12+ yrs old. I believe 8-10 are the 'peak' years. After that, under less than ideal conditions, the bulls will start to regress. I have found very few 380+ bulls under 8 yrs old. Most have been 9+ yrs old.

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:23 am

ridgetop wrote:I've heard the biologist say, most elk peak between 7-10 yrs. but that huge bull my uncle shot a few years ago was aged at around 11 yrs. and he may have scored 450 gross if not for (4) broken tines. He still grossed around 430 with the broken stuff. I think he was at his prime at that age.
I have to agree with a biologist i hunted the same bull for six years before i finally got him. He was 9 1/2 years old when i got him his best set of horns in the years that tracked him was when he was 8 1/2 years old. This is just my personally observation of this one animal.