15%
380+
12%

Total votes: 74

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:34 pm

The poll says roughly 2/3's of us who be happy with a 300-350 class bull. Right were I suspected most to be. Very interesting, lacks for the feedback and responses.

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:42 pm

I also see that 70% of people think that a bull must score 350 or more to be "big enough." I really doubt that 70% of hunters will ever have a legitimate chance of taking a 350 or better bull. It's sad to me that we're loosing sight of what the hunt is really about. We're looking for 90% success on huge bulls once in our life, rather than working hard and having a chance to take a really good bull several times. Is having one monster bull on your wall worth giving up all of the rest of your hunts for the rest of your life?

The area I hunt in Idaho is over the counter. You could shoot a 350 bull on it if you work hard and have a little luck on your side. You can also hunt it every single year for a decent chance at 260 to 320 inch bull. In a 10 year period, you could potentially shoot 10 bulls with one being a monster, and several more scoring above 300. I'll take that any day of the week over the system in Utah.

What I would like to know is, how many of the 70% that said it must score 350 or more have ever taken a 6x6?

Show_Me_Your_Rack
2 point
2 point

Post by Show_Me_Your_Rack » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:22 pm

I 2nd that the hunt is not about the biggest buck/bull/turkey/or snail that all comes as a bonus but its about out-smarting such an animal i consider a trophy bull to be 385+ typical and 400+ non now i would rather have the chance and blow it on such and animal than to shoot a 365 on the last day!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The situation is you aren’t going to kill a big buck unless there’s a big buck where your huntin!!!

camotac
Fawn
Fawn

Post by camotac » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:30 pm

It has Been said a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. pro you ask if we could score a bull a 200 yards yes i can. this is what i have killed in utah open bull 383, 371, 354, 346, and 8 between 300 and 330. good post =D>

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:50 pm

I am all for the wall factor! Scoring things is fun to talk about and a good way to visualize something but it all comes down to, if I am willing to put it on the wall then it's worth going after as a trophy.
There's always next year

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:12 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. You all have been very helpful.

PRO

awholelottabull
Spike
Spike

Post by awholelottabull » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:01 am

Pro, you know I love to chase big bulls. I hate getting into the scoring game with clients. I tell them up front, if it looks good to you shoot it. If I do score a bull for somebody I always try to come in low so they are not disappointed. I consider myself pretty accurate on scoring bulls if I have time to look at them. The "trophy" truly is in the eye of the beholder. I have said many times, if you think you will regret shooting it later then don't shoot it now.

Here is a picture of a bull shot in 2005. The hunter was elated. Is this a trophy?

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 am

Jim, that bull made the hunter "elated", therefore it is a trophy as far as he is concerned, which is all that matters. The picture would look better if it had the hunter in there instead of your sorry mug. :))

I dare say 90% of the hunters or more outthere would consider that bull a shooter if they walked up on him in the field. That is my point, everyone seems stuck on a certain score because of what they hear on these forums and in hunting mags. Most people have no idea what a 380+ bull looks like unless someone is standing there telling him/her.

Is the Vernon thing still on for next weekend?

PRO

awholelottabull
Spike
Spike

Post by awholelottabull » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:55 pm

What do you mean, the hunter IS in the picture. I did everything but pull the trigger on that one. You know what I mean?

If you want to see something that proves your point go over to "the other" forum and check out some of the pictures they say are 380+. Pretty interesting on what people think are 400 class bulls. I've spent 23 years in the guiding/outfitting business and the older I get the less the score means to me. I would rather see a kid shoot his first 250 class bull rather than me take a 400 inch bull. My priorities have definately changed. Don't get me wrong, I would love to take a 400" bull just like the next guy but it's not as important anymore.

I think retirement from this profession is right around the corner but that's another topic for discussion at another time.

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Post by Avs man » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:39 pm

CO, and any animal is a trophy to me, but my ultimate trophy is an all time Book bull or buck, B&C or Pope and young. Not saying Ill ever achieve that but thats what keeps me going back year after year after year.
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!