First Big bull down!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:38 am

I agree with ya Stickflicker. I was just voicing my concern over the entire episode. I agree that the press is not anything I would completely trust and I always take everything they print with a grain of salt. My point was that this entire situation just doesn't look good. You hit the nail on the head with your last statement about "poor judgement". The hunter's poor judgement is the main culprit here and really makes the whole hunt look rather unsavory.

79Ford
Monster
Monster

Post by 79Ford » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:55 pm

Hmmm, Cant say that I blame the residents there for being upset. If that were my house in that picture I'd be pretty upset with someone shooting an elk in my front yard. Just bad hunting ethics in my opinion. I know the story probably doesn't tell the whole truth, but based on it alone I think the shooter deserves to have the animal taken from him, and charged with whatever they can. It's pretty obvious from the pic that the animal was pretty close to homes when shot and that is enough for me. Unless the animal was shot and managed to run 400 yards towards the homes before going down, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way it's a fine animal and it's a shame that he's become a part of something like this. If in fact he is taken then he will have been auctioned off twice........ What a shame.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:12 am

NONYA:

I've noticed you have a tendency to make assumptions, and criticize others with a somewhat abrasive attitude quite often on this board....I guess this is yet another for you. If I'm taking your posts wrong, I apologize.....if not, do we need to get creepingdeath on here to post some rebuttal? :)

As for the AZ bull, I do know a bit about the incident which I will not discuss here. I will say this, don't believe everything you read (as Stickflicker explained) from a newspaper. Unfortunately, they are not always the best source of information in today's anti-hunting world. Lastly, I would predict that at the end of this investigation, the antlers will be returned, and no fines imposed. Time will tell. Until then, you should wait for the FACTS to surface before passing judgment. JMO
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:53 pm

I AGREE WITH BOHNTR

CB-
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 pm

o come on guys not again ](*,) lets not get started on this topic again. If you have issues with some one ignore them
Last edited by bigbuck92 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:27 pm

Here's another side to the story from someone who was there.....like I said, before I ever label someone a "poacher", I'd want some FACTS first. I still say let the investigation be complete and see what happens.

"Obviously the Droptine bull was harvested Thursday morning, 7-25-07. It is a tremendous and unique bull no doubt.

I can say that there were many extra steps taken in the planned hunt of this bull. The finder was given a rush guides license so he could be properly paid for his services. There was supposed to be dialog between him and his neighbor about the upcoming hunt. The guides wanted permission from surrounding property owners. Apparently that conversation never took place between the “Finder” and the neighbor. Unfortunately the expiring bull laid down on the adjoining property.

Before the first shot ever took place two guides/outfitters ranged the nearest occupied structure at a little over 500yrds. The shot was taken and like I mentioned, the bull headed for the next property to lay down.

The guides and hunter were instructed or asked by the game wardens, to move and finish the bull off. This did put them close to the house but presented a safer angle for the shot.
It’s no secret now that the bull was subsequently confiscated by our AZGFD game wardens. This came into play after the warden and a guide walked into the “approximate” area of the shot. The warden came up with a range under ¼ mile from the structure. It’s very easy to lose some yardage in a large meadow with no concrete spot as to where the first shot came from. Like I mentioned both guides that were with the hunter had ranges over 500yrds.

I’ll take the credibility of where my first hand knowledge came over anyone’ at anytime.

All of this will play out in the near future and everyone can judge from there. Just as the guides tried to take as much precaution as possible; the wardens did as well. I’ll be very surprised if anything comes of this. The hunter and guides were able to take field photos and get the great bull to the taxidermist.

There was only one citation written and I’m sure it’ll be fought and rightly so. No guides were issued any citations by the AZGFD.

I hope this helps clear up a little from the guides/hunters side of the story. All I’m asking is to let this thing takes its course and go from there."
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:34 pm

Thanks for the additional information Roy. As I stated earlier, I really hope that this bull turns out to be legit. I didn't like the sounds of the press release...but again, we can't trust everything we find in print.

We'll wait and see what the final work is.

catdogs
Spike
Spike

Post by catdogs » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Whether laws were broken or not, this was hardly a hunt! Unless that photo with the bull in front of the house was altered, all hunters should think long and hard about what this does to our hunting heritage. This was a high fence hunt minus the fence!
Guide your life!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:39 pm

As in everything, there's always two sides to every story. I'm personally going to wait and see, the truth will come out, eventually.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:41 pm

If he was allowed to take it to a taxidermist WHY IS THERE A SEIZURE TAG ON IT?It was seized by the AZ F&G,but nothing will come of it....right.