36%
15%
380+
12%

Total votes: 74

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Re: What do you consider a 'trophy' bull?

Post by StickFlicker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:46 pm

If you just look at antlers, without regard for where it was taken, I think a 330 bull is the turning point to being a pretty impressive looking mature animal. In Arizona, where I usually hunt, that sized bull is not that uncommon, so 350 might be a good target to try to take a bull that is significantly better than average. That all being said, I'm hoping to take one over 380 next month!!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:18 pm

a "trophy" ( score wise) is any bull taht is large for the area your hunting. in a general OTC hunt here in oregon, if i kill a 300" bull, THATS A TROPHY!

if i draw a great tag in oregon, a 330" bull IS A TROPHY

if i drew the best tag in utah, a 375"+ bull IS A TROPHY

on the other side of it, if a guy also includes that absolute great times with friends and family while hunting, it doesn't matter whats on his head, HE'S A TROPHY

any hunt can be a memory that will last a lifetime, kill or no kill.
if i drew a great tag, and was supposed to kill a huge bull , in utah- and the bull scored 330" vs. going on a general OTC tag in oregon and killing a 280" 6x6- that 280" bull in oregon is a beter "trophy" to me.

i want to do good for my area i'm hunting. the amount of inches dont dictate wether it's a trophy or not, but the hunt and memories do.

spotnstalk
Fawn
Fawn

Post by spotnstalk » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:50 pm

I shot a raghorn once in idaho, that was one of the hardest hunts I had been on over 7 days of hunting, and to this day knowing what I did to get it, to me its a trophy.