FISH LAKE

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
BLC
Fawn
Fawn

FISH LAKE

Post by BLC » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:48 am

How come the state of Utah has so many cow tags on the fish lake -thousand lake unit? 1200 hundred tags is a lot.......... Is that hurting the mature bull tags?

CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Re: FISH LAKE

Post by CaHntr » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:34 pm

I doubt it. That is a LE Bull Unit.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:57 pm

They have had these type of hunts before. The last time they let out way to many tags and the numbers for the whole herd was in decline because they were taking to many cows out and there wasn't as many to breed.

Personaly I don't mind seeing the elk herd thinned out some because I think that the elk push the deer out of some of the better areas and our deer herd are having a hard enough time allready.
Just my opinion though.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

BLC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BLC » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:31 am

Dont doubt it....

Plateau, Fishlake-Thousand lakes 10/9 thru 10/21 350tags
plateau, fishlake-thousand lakes 11/22 thru 12/12 450 tags
plateau, fishlake-thousand lakes 12/12 thru 12/31 400 tags

right from the proclaimation.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:39 am

CaHntr wrote:I doubt it. That is a LE Bull Unit.
I would have to disagree. It is not only a LE unit but a spike unit as well. And with the archery spike hunt you can shoot either sex. So who know how many cows are getting taken off the unit. Those cows produce bulls, kill the cows kill the bulls. And the whole heard suffers. They need to limit the amount of all antlerless tags in this state. My opinion is that they are taking out way to many. And not just on the fishlake unit. The nebo unit is hurting big time as well, and they have been pulling a ton of antlerless animals from there as well. :>/
Deadi

highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Post by highcountryarchery » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:56 pm

The fishlake has had to many tags given out for years and you can see that it is startin to take its toll on the herd. They are burning both ends of the candle they are giving out lots of cow tags and huntin lots of big bulls as well. In my opinion they need to shut down the unit for a year or two and let it regroup a lil your not seeing as many elk or near the quality of elk as you have seen in years past. I enjoy huntin the fishlake since its right in my back yard and we run cattle up there but I wouldnt mind seein in shut down for a year or two

CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Post by CaHntr » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm

BLC wrote:Dont doubt it....

Plateau, Fishlake-Thousand lakes 10/9 thru 10/21 350tags
plateau, fishlake-thousand lakes 11/22 thru 12/12 450 tags
plateau, fishlake-thousand lakes 12/12 thru 12/31 400 tags

right from the proclaimation.
I am not doubting how many tags they issue. I am aware of that. I just dont think it hurts mature bulls. The cow hunt did get shut down for a couple of years about 5yrs ago. There were still bulls though. The cow herd was down in that unit, but units surrounding it had way more than they used to. I think some of the cows just migrated. I dont think they neccessarily give out too many cow tags but maybe they shouldn't let you harvest one with an archery spike tag. Then again not all tags are filled, especially archery. I have hunted that unit a few times but did not get drawn this year for cow. Not all tags get filled. I have talked to many who say they had not seen any. I always seem to fill. Even when I got drawn for LE Tag in 08. I hunted 3days and saw atleast a dozen bulls each day. I talked to other hunters and said it was a tuff year and weren't seeing anything.

highcountryarchery: Where abouts do you live out there?

BLC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BLC » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:16 am

Seems like a tough year this year, I have a friend who had the LE late tag and just couldn't find any good bulls. My point was with that many people in the field those old mature bulls are going to move to where this is no pressure, which could be off the unit.

highcountryarchery
Spike
Spike

Post by highcountryarchery » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

I live in Loa

CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Post by CaHntr » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:06 am

BLC wrote:Seems like a tough year this year, I have a friend who had the LE late tag and just couldn't find any good bulls. My point was with that many people in the field those old mature bulls are going to move to where this is no pressure, which could be off the unit.
I agree with that. Do they have a cow hunt on the Monroe? I know they stopped hunting the Boulder Unit because it got slaughtered back in 05.

highcountryarchery: Thats a small town, I like it up there. That would be my choice if I could make a living.