Wasatch LE unit

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Wasatch LE unit

Post by Sniper1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I know im jumping the gun a bit but the wheels are already spinning in my brain about this. Wondering if anyone drew this tag for archery last year? I have enough points to draw it this year and im debating on doing it or not. Succes stories and such please lets hear.
Thanks fellas
Aim Small Miss Small

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Re: Wasatch LE unit

Post by Lunder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:22 pm

I was muzzleloader deer hunting up there at the end September 2010 and saw a lot more bull elk than buck deer. One was the biggest bull I've ever seen alive in the wild. (Obviously seen bigger dead ones in pictures.) It was a lot more fun hearing the bulls bugle and watching this massive bull push around a bunch of cows than it was trying to find a deer to shoot. After watching him for a minute I remembered I had my video camera in my pack so I got it out just in time to get about 4 seconds of him before he trotted behind some trees. I'll see if I can figure out how to post it.

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Sniper1 wrote:I know im jumping the gun a bit but the wheels are already spinning in my brain about this.
By-the-way, I know what you mean about spinning your wheels on this. I've got 7 points for deer and am trying to decide if I want to hold out for the Henry's or put in for one of the lesser limited entry units. I'm already losing sleep over big bucks! ](*,)

Oldschool12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Oldschool12 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Lunder I was also muzzy deer in the Wasatch, and agree. The elk were a riot to watch. Deer were pretty scarce for us, but we saw elk and some nice bulls every day. I wish I had more points.

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Ya i got fingers crossed for an archery tag. Should be a good time. What tags did you folks put in for this year?
Aim Small Miss Small

Lunder
Spike
Spike

Post by Lunder » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:51 am

I ended up putting in for a LE deer tag instead of elk. I've got 7 points for deer and 3 for elk so I'm going to try and get the deer tag used up and then I'll start putting in for elk again. I think I'll do the Wasatch unit though when I do start putting in for elk. That's a good unit.

SKEETER
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SKEETER » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Sniper1 I am also up there in points and put in wasatch archery elk. should be good times.

South_slope
Fawn
Fawn

Post by South_slope » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:48 pm

I had the archery tag last year. Be prepared for a ton of company in general season hunters. There is very few spots I have found to get away from the masses. The bull I did finally arrow was chased off by someone else who said he found the blood and wanted to see how big the animal was. I caught up to him after I waited for an hour to make sure the bull went down. I didn't know there was someone less than 100 yards away, but it was common. I spent the next day and a half searching for him without any luck and ended up without a bull. It was tough because the bulls would not bugle much even toward the end of the season. You will see a ton of elk on the bow hunt, but getting between them and water or feed while they move is a different story.

It was the toughest hunt I have done to date, but also the funnest. So much fun infact that I am doing the rifle hunt this year.

swera11
Fawn
Fawn

Post by swera11 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:22 am

Someone shot one heck of a piece of meat....LOL. I read the Admin posts under the picture and HAD to respond. Am I wrong in my post? Whether I am or not, I just don't see the appeal in shooting something that is penned up (no matter how big the enclosure) and paid a bounty to kill.