Elk from the house

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: Elk from the house

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Excellent point Clackamas, but what would you do to remedy this problem? Simply put, there is not an area in any of the mountain states that is not either deer or elk summer range, transitional range, or winter range. So basically anyone who lives in Idaho, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Montana, or Wyoming is part of the habitat loss problem. That aside, somehow the elk herds adjacent to my home are in very good shape. I have counted over 200 from my home at one time. How many more elk would have inhabited this area before the pioneers settled here? Interested to hear your thoughts, and welcome to the forum.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

tenaciousC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tenaciousC » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:52 pm

10sign:
Clackamas wrote:Nice view, but I believe it shows exactly what is unfortunate about winter range. If your house was not there, those elk would be in your back yard. The development of these critical winter ranges puts so much more stress on animals. I see your development is fairly new, it has been a elk winter range for 100K years.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:36 pm

Guys,
Give me a break. The towns of Springville and Mapleton lay between my house and those mountains. Probably around 10k people. I imagine that the elk would still be in my back yard except that there is a nice golf course in between and they just can't get past the rough on the 15th hole. While I agree that 99.9% of Utah is populated on historical winter range,(nothing lived in Wendover before it was settled by humans) the herds seem to have adapted fine over the past 150 years or so and I find it interesting to catch crap on a forum full of hunters most of whom live in either winter range, summer range, or travel on roads that disect the two and kill hundreds of animals each year. I gotta say that I never expected points like this to arise based upon this posting. Hope I'm not supposed to feel bad for being a human on planet earth. Maybe we've been infiltrated by PETA operatives? Reminds me of a nutty professor I had in college who encouraged us all to go get steralized at age 20 to save the planet from human overpopulation. Moral of the story is that I only live on the winter range because I can't afford a house up on the summer range yet!-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 pm

i haven't read this post for a while, clicked on it and about puked.

Springville- you have absolutly nothing to appologize for- if you would not have bought your home- due to it being a winter 100 yrs ago, it simply would have sold to the next guy and still been in the same place on the same historic winter range.

i'd love to see where the 2 "anti winterrange" guys live, cause no matter what, it was once a place animals lived.
it's like a buddy i have who works for the forest service fighting fire- they waist SO MUCH MONEY!, but he could walk up and hand his walking papers to his boss and say "i'm not going to be a part of this any more", his boss would simply take the papers, and say "see ya" and the next guy would move up the ladder.

it's not the person but the system, if you want to complain.
all that said, if i'm ever in the market to move to Utah, Where can i find info on the area you live in SS? i'd LOVE to live in the same place;)