What frame pack for hauling elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
jayb22
Spike
Spike

What frame pack for hauling elk

Post by jayb22 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry in advance if this should be in the optics & gear section but I am mainly asking for packing out Elk so hopefully this is the right place.

What External frame pack board would you recommend for packing out a Elk out of deep thick mountains? I have a really good day pack coming (Horn Hunter Mainbeam) so I am now looking for a pack strictly for packing out Elk quarters or Mule deer halves. Last year I had to pack my Mule deer out of some very steep gross terrain. We cut him in half (3 ribs from the back) and I carried out his front half (Head attached) than came back and grabbed his lower half. I was using my buddies Pack board which seemed to work well for the task but I am always looking for something better. What kind of a pack would you recommend? Part of me wants a pack that can carry a water bladder but I'm sure I could rig up any pack to do so if needed.

Thanks for any help.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: What frame pack for hauling elk

Post by m gardner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:26 pm

I've got a Kelty Cache Hauler. It has a compartment for a bladder. It's cheap at $89.00 but the hip belt fit me best and I could get it adjusted properly. Some of the better ones just didn't fit right. I hauled out 2 elk last year. The first one took 2 days.
Mark

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:59 am

My local sporting goods store caries kelty packs and the one I tried on was very comfortable. The only issue is that I heard they premote anti hunter groups. Is there any truth to that? Other than that they seem great.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 am

jayb22 wrote:My local sporting goods store caries kelty packs and the one I tried on was very comfortable. The only issue is that I heard they premote anti hunter groups. Is there any truth to that? Other than that they seem great.
I have no idea but you could go to their website and check it out. They support the National Wildlife Federation from what they say on their site but on the NWF website they say they are devoted to conservation. The packs also don't look as rugged as some others but they are inexpensive.
Mark

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 am

The one I saw had the padded sides that wrap around whatever you are packing and had the side metal brackets on the meat shelf. My only concern with the pack would be if those side supports on the meat shelf would get in the way if you were packing out a load wider than the shelf. Here is a picture to help make sense of what I am talking about

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:52 pm

I was concerned with how much I was forking out getting prpared to go elk hunting last year. I went with a cost effective frame pack from cabelas. I've never tried to pack out elk quarters on something to campare against the frame/pack I got, so I can't give a complete reveiw. All I can say is that this pack worked perfect for me and was nice and comfortable (at least as comfy as possible when you have a full elk hind quarter on your back).

You can see the meat shelf doesn't have the bars your concerned with in the photo you posted. The pack part is basically a large duffle bag with cinching straps. There are some side compartments large enough for you gear. I was able to fit the elk quarters nicely in the pack and cinch it down tight to the frame. Then on the final of six trips I took the pack off the frame and tied the head and antlers to the frame. Here's a couple of pack photos, and a 2:30 am final arrival at the fourwheeler pic.

"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

jayb22
Spike
Spike

Post by jayb22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:26 pm

If you don't mind me asking how much was that pack?

I don't think we have a Cabellas in Canada yet but depending on the price I could be interested in getting one shipped up here. Thanks for the recommendations. It looks good.

The one pack that I would love to get but don't know if I want to spend the money on it is the Horn Hunter Curl hybrid pack. My only concern is the lack of metal frame on the meat shelf but I've read a few reviews of people packing out elk quarters with no issues. Plus their lifetime warranty would cover any issue.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

It's the Cabelas Alaskan I camo pack with frame. I got it on a sale for $99.95. Normal price is $119.95. They do have higher end models like the alskan extreme outfitter for $259. If you just want the frame it's 89.95.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:05 pm

jayb22 wrote:The one I saw had the padded sides that wrap around whatever you are packing and had the side metal brackets on the meat shelf. My only concern with the pack would be if those side supports on the meat shelf would get in the way if you were packing out a load wider than the shelf. Here is a picture to help make sense of what I am talking about

Yep, that's the one I got. No problems with large elk quarters and the panels wrapping around it. Quarters are tapered at the ends. You can actually fold the shelf up and put the wrap around panels over it to form a cradle for smaller loads too.There's a blaze orange thing it the bottom too for safety. Hope to wear it out this year. lol
Mark

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:10 pm

NotEnufTags wrote:It's the Cabelas Alaskan I camo pack with frame. I got it on a sale for $99.95. Normal price is $119.95. They do have higher end models like the alskan extreme outfitter for $259. If you just want the frame it's 89.95.
I believe this pack (in green... not camo) is on clearance in the Bargain Cave @ Cabelas.com for $89.88 (as of Apr 2). Good price IMO, don't know how long it will be at that price.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore