Newbiieeee Colorado Elk Hunt Question(s)

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
cwby
Fawn
Fawn

Newbiieeee Colorado Elk Hunt Question(s)

Post by cwby » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:09 am

Hi Everybody,
I have spent the better part of a day looking around getting familiar with the site and looking for information on where I will be hunting this fall in Colorado...much to the demise of my work schedule :)

My father and I talked about doing an Elk hunt together for a couple of years and when he suddenly passed away a few years ago, I kind of forgot about it as I didn't think it would be the same. Well, an Elk Hunt Opportunity that landed in my lap after a cousin moved to Colorado last year with his horses and mules. Long story short, I will be joining him on an DYI OTC Bull/Cow tag hunt for the 2nd season and as newbieee to Elk hunting, I have loads of questions...of course.

We are looking at hunting Units 12,13,and 231, packing in 10 or so miles. I have been reading mixed reviews about these units. Will packing in Horseback get us past the crowds enough or are the Elk herds headed to lower elevations and Private Lands by the 2nd season?

Where is a good resource for maps that outline lands we can hunt vs. lands we can't (IE Private, preserves, etc.)?

On bullets selections: I shoot a custom built 264 MAG that I am very competent with out to 500 Yards. Is a 140 Grain Game King Bullet (Essentially a boat tail partition) enough or should I be looking for a more solid core bullet (Barnes X type)?

Any other advice or comment is always welcome...I am a novice Elk hunter but have spent the better part of my 36 years hunting Whitetails and Mule deer in Texas (which I know does not compare to a 9,000 Ft Mountain with a 90 degree grade:))