Colorado GMU 13 early archery season, any insight?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
LadyHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Colorado GMU 13 early archery season, any insight?

Post by LadyHunter » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

So we have finally narrowed down our hunt for this fall, and it looks like Colorado GMU 13 OTC either sex tags it is.
I've been doing lots of map scouting using Google Earth with overlayed topo maps, along with a very detailed atlas that contains BLM landuse maps, and I've honed in on a few little benches in some steep looking terrain around Buck Peak, as well as around Holderness and Smuin Gulch's. We will have three hunters who are all going to be in pretty good shape for this hunt (2 of us will be spending the summer hiking with full day packs in Tahoe to get accustomed to the altitude), and who aren't afraid to hunt hard and hike in a few miles to explore some good areas.
I'm just looking for insight from other's who may have hunted this area during archery seasons in the past, or who might live there. What is the atv traffic like in the early part of the archery season? What is the likelihood of seeing mule deer along with elk in this unit? I'm going to be talking with the "hunt planners" from DOW to see if there might be any leftover mule deer tags in this unit for archery season, and if so, I might buy a tag for mule deer instead of elk if the likelihood of running into both is good.
Not looking for anyone's insider information, just tips and general information for someone who lives 15 hours away and can't afford to come out there for an off season scouting trip.
Thanks in advance everyone!

codyca
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Colorado GMU 13 early archery season, any insight?

Post by codyca » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 am

Look into the public lands between the williams fork mountains and hamilton. Access from the road is very limited by private land but there are a few spur roads that take you north through the private frontage to a strip of public land that isnt very wide but is very long and includes some deep canyons full of oak brush . The rd comes off highway 13 in hamilton.