Utah Tag Drawn - New Forum Member from Texas

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
338ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Utah Tag Drawn - New Forum Member from Texas

Post by 338ultra » Fri May 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello all. I am new to the forum and trying to learn more about Elk Hunting. I'm from Waco, TX and have been an avid whitetail and turkey hunter all my life. My dad and I try to take a trip together every year either hunting or fishing outside of Texas. In 2009 we took an elk and mule deer trip to Idaho and had a miserable time with the guide service we had. I started putting us in for points then for different states. In 2010 we went back to Alaska for a fishing trip and now this year we are back at trying to kill a bull elk or mule deer. This year as luck would have it, my dad drew a tag for Utah in September, so I am trying to do some leg work before we get there. To be honest I think I screwed up. I put him in for a tag for Meadowville Cache and he actually got it. Now I am starting to do a little more research and it looks like this unit is pretty much all PRIVATE LAND. Is that right? Anyways, any help or advice will be appreciated. I've cruised this site from time to time checking out different posts, and it appears I can learn much from this crowd.

Thanks,
Jason

JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Re: Utah Tag Drawn - New Forum Member from Texas

Post by JimmyB » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Yes... yes you are correct! Tons of private land on this unit. But there are also some very good areas on public land if you know where to go. And there is plenty of elk and plenty of big bulls! Are you guys planning on doing any scouting before the hunt?... Or come a few days before the hunt starts and wing it from there? lol
Shooter McGavin

338ultra
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 338ultra » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 pm

JimmyB, unfortunatley you are right on. Due to time constrants and the distance, we will probably come up 3 or 4 days ahead of time and do our "scouting". If we lived closer, within 4 hours of there, then i would be making a trip twice a month for scouting. Unfortunatley an 18 hour drive is something I will only want to do twice this year. Talking with the BLM folks, they sent me some maps and it appears there is several 1000's of acres there to hunt on public land. I think one could get in trouble in a hurry though by not knowing the boundries and chasing a big bull onto private land accidentally. I guess the lands are pretty clearly marked though. My dad is looking forward to it. He's been dieting and excersicing like a mad man to get ready for it. I'm looking forward to it as well. Hopefully I can help the old guy fulfill one of his bucket list items.

spoofman
Spike
Spike

Post by spoofman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:50 am

Unfortunately there is a lot of private in the area. if you can get above it then you will find some better country to hunt but the fences will tell you if you are crossing onto private. Good luck

cubbyut
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cubbyut » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:49 pm

Get some good maps and have fun.