Elk Question

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Elk Question

Post by huntfishnv » Sun May 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Well last year I got (sort of) into the groove of how mule deer hunting works. A lot of that thanks to members here, like "for the love of it". This year I thought I would try elk and I drew my first ever elk tag. A cow tag for Nevada. Any advice on how to generally hunt elk would be great, never done it before. The season is in early October. Im guessing finding water is a good place to start?
The Buck Stops Here

BoneHunter85
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Elk Question

Post by BoneHunter85 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:38 am

Water, shelter, and food. Remeber elk go low at night and high in the day (most of the time) my luck has always lookining for thick tember and hunting pretty high. If you can find good trail hit it hard and keep a ear out cows and calves talk alot so listen for the mews. Best places for me are high dark tember and saddles. Hope this helps a little bit for you and good luck o one other thing lot of scouting.

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:07 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. I have another question for you guys, if I go scouting in August will the elk most likely still be in the same areas come October?
The Buck Stops Here

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:36 pm

bump
The Buck Stops Here

NVhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by NVhunter » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:42 pm

Me and my family have been Cow Elk hunting in Nevada for the last 5 years and we absolutely love it. The best way to do it is to go into the tree's and try and call in some elk, whether it be a herd bull and some cows or just a cow. This is very tricky because of how thick some of the tree's are. A good investment would be some trail camera's to set up on some wallow's to see when they are coming into water, if they are consistintly coming into water at the same time that would be a good place to set up. The burns are also a very good place to find some elk, the elk like to go through the burns because that is where they can find easy access to green grass. If you are hunting the burns you can either do the call's like in the tree's or you can see where they are hanging around and try to sneak up on them. You should hunt the tree's in the morning because during the rut they will be feeding at night then going back into the tree's in the morning to bed and maybe stopping at water on the way, and hunt the burns in the evening because they will be moving out of the tree's into the burn to feed for the night. Either way I hope you are good with both bull and cow elk calls because they will make or break your hunt. I hope this helps you and I wish you luck on your hunt.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!" - Bear Claw

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:11 pm

When you say hunt the trees do you mean sit in one spot, or move around slowly? Also me and my brother both have deer tags for the same area, can we hunt them in the same places?
The Buck Stops Here

NVhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by NVhunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 pm

You want to slowly walk through the tree's and every once in a while give out a cow call or bugle and listen for a response, if you hear a bull answering back and coming closer you are going to want to find a place under a tree and wait for him to come by, make sure you have some shooting lanes through the tree's. And make sure you DONT use the calls to much, if a bull comes by quick give him a quick cow call and he will stay there. We have had bulls hang arounds at 15-30 yards just by giveing them a little cow call or a quick bugle. All of this goes the same with hunting the burns as well. We have never hunted deer in elk country so I dont know anything about that, We have seen deer though near where we elk hunt.

NVhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by NVhunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Do you mind me asking which area you have the tag for.

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:17 pm

61, 71 for elk and 71-79 for deer. Deer is junior.
Last edited by huntfishnv on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Buck Stops Here

huntfishnv
2 point
2 point

Post by huntfishnv » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:52 am

How much do you guys use the spotting scope for elk?
The Buck Stops Here