Box Elder pilot hunt

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
JDavid
Spike
Spike

Box Elder pilot hunt

Post by JDavid » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:25 pm

I was wondering if by any chance one of the members drew out for the box elder pilot hunt?
Is someone with 10 million dollars any happier than someone with 9 million?

tenaciousC
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Box Elder pilot hunt

Post by tenaciousC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:09 am

I wish. Couldn't talk my old man into putting in for it... be probably would've drawn but he went with manti instead. So now we're heading south. I've spent some time out there the last couple years deer hunting and it seems like all we could find were elk. I was way impressed though. Nice little sleeper unit. Do you ever pick up any sheds out there? We went out and I only found a couple small antlers... good luck finding one of the four lucky hunters.

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:27 am

I have picked up a few. It been a couple years since I have been looking for them. The heard hasn't been as good as it once was. Between the poachers and the wild horses I think they are slowing moving off the mountain. There are still some really nice elk up there. I've seen a good looming 7x8 up there the last 2 years I hope he makes it this year.

BLC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BLC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:49 am

Of the elk subject, I have a friend who drew that unit for Antelope, have you seen any good antelope bucks while you were out?

tenaciousC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tenaciousC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 pm

What I saw I can't imagine how it could be much better. I've seen a couple 350 -360 six points and a seven just as big... my buddy who took me out there has seen that bull you're talking about though. He said it makes the others look small. That would be a fun hunt, open country with good numbers of elk and a longer season.

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:11 am

All the antelope I've seen have been in the southern part of the area. Wendover has a water treatment plant on lone tree pass. They always hang out within a couple miles of there. This morning I seen a heard of about 15 all bucks. It was the craziest I've never seen so many together. Most of them are little but there was two really nice bucks. Sorry to say that was in NV but only about 4 miles from the boarder.

tenaciousC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by tenaciousC » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 am

Thats awesome. I apply for that nevada antelope tag. Got a few points built up so maybe one of these years... that area is amazing who would think such a harsh environment would hold such trophy animals. Very few deer but I've seen a couple giants

BLC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BLC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks for the info JDavid glad there are a few out there. 4 miles isn't to far for them to move into Utah. Have you been on the north end of the pilot? There use to be a good population of antelope up that way too.

JDavid
Spike
Spike

Post by JDavid » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:38 am

I'm always on that mountain. I've seen them from wendover to lucin. Just more frequently around that water treatment plant, and the base of Patterson pass around the main road

BLC
Fawn
Fawn

Post by BLC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:12 pm

We use to shoot a lot of chuckars just up from Patterson Pass.........