Early season cow elk hunt in Utah

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
DoubleA
Fawn
Fawn

Early season cow elk hunt in Utah

Post by DoubleA » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:02 pm

New to the forum and elk hunting - grew up hunting whitetails in the MIdwest and recently drew my first elk tag out here in Utah. The tag is for hunt 4025 - early august (1-14th) hunt in the Northwest Manti zone.
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this particular hunt or any general tips for a cow elk hunt this early in season. I'm scrambling a bit since I expected to draw an October tag if anything, so any info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Andy

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Re: Early season cow elk hunt in Utah

Post by wildantlerman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:21 am

We drew for it, cant wait. I have hunted the area for all my life and so has my family for decades before I was born. It is a tough area if you do not know it not many elk that time of the year cause it is more winter area than anything but there are elk that live there year round. Pretty rough country. But like I said we have three tags and are excited to get some meat. :thumb
Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"

DoubleA
Fawn
Fawn

Post by DoubleA » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:19 am

wes - Any large chunks of private property or sections that are off limits to hunting that I should know about in this hunt area?

wildantlerman
3 point
3 point

Post by wildantlerman » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Yeah all of it.... JK, no not really the only private property is along Highway 89 from about Thistle down to about Nebo turn off, just north of the Boys Ranch and or Spencer Fork which is off to the right going south. Most of it is Fish and Game along the road and high is forest land. Not much road access only three roads that will take you into the back country but most of it is foot and or horse back. If you are not sure about the area and hunting get with me and we could possibly help you out, give me a call 801-735-9102
Wes
Wild Antler Creations - Custom Built Antler Art and Furniture
Wild Antler Magic - "Bring'in Back Bone"

DoubleA
Fawn
Fawn

Post by DoubleA » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks Wes, sent ya a PM.