2012 AZ Elk (pics)

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
BOHNTR

2012 AZ Elk (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I drew an AZ elk tag in a unit that isn't known for neccessary large or old bulls, but since it's my fourth bull tag (non-resident) in 20 years, I wasn't complaining. Before the season opened, I was nusing a left knee that I injured on a back-country mule deer hunt in CO, so I gingerly scouted a few areas I checked last month. Opening weekend I was expecting to hear some bugling, but heard nothing for the first 3 hours of daylight. I was on my way back to camp, when I decided to check a little honey hole I've arrowed some bulls before in years past. As I parked, I listened for a few minutes and heard some bugles up a ridge that I'm very familiar with. After gathering my gear and getting the wind right, I headed in silent.

About 500 yards further, I managed to get right in the herd that has 8 total bulls (counting satellite bulls). I passed a five point at about 15 yards as he moved past me. Suddenly, I realized they wer all around me and I herd the bull raking a tree directly in front of me. He would chase bulls off and then return to his tree and destroy the limbs. I slowly crept in a little further and found myself 33 yards from him raking. I drew and settled in my pin and released....hitting him behind the shoulder and getting a complete pass-thru. He bolted a short distance and then went over a little rise and was out-of-sight. The other elk, in all the frenzy, didn't know what happended and soon bulls were chasing cows everyhwere around me......pute elk heaven.

Thirty minutes later, I took up the blood trail and went about 100 yards and found my elk bedded.....and still alive. I couldn't believe it. I snuck in to 23 yards and put another arrow in him through the shoulder. He bolted another 50 yards and was down for good. After contacting my hunting partners and letting them know where I was at, I finally got a good look at what I arrowed. He was a freaky configured bull with a heavy 7 point side that grew close to the center of his forehead. The other side was long but was missing his first two points. His tines were bladed and just......well, weird looking. His big side, if doubled wouldbe about a 345" class bull.

At the meat locker, a G&F officer estimated his age about 8.5 years old. His body was by far the biggest bodied elk I've ever arrowed. Buthcer estimated him to be about 750 pounds. That's a lot of good table fare! :)

I'm still here in Arizona helping Wally and Fred locate bulls. Fred shot right under a really nice 7x7 last evening......shooting right under him. Hopefully they'll tag out before the season ends on the 27th. I'll keep you updated on the hunt, as I have access from camp. Hope you enjoy the photos.

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2012 AZ Elk (pics)

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Awesome Roy! I was wondering if you had completed the hunt yet, now I know. Sounds very cool. The pics don't show up for me for some reason??

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:29 pm

Fixed the photos.....let me know if you can see them.

Pope & Young Measurer

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:34 pm

Perfect now Roy, what sweet bull. He has ALL kinds of character. Flat out crazy weird, but he is awesome. 10sign: 10sign:

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:39 pm

Right on ROY!! I've been waiting to hear an update on your hunt. I made it this whole season without even getting to hear an elk bugle (tagged out to early) but there is nothing cooler than being right in the middle of a herd of rutting bulls!!

congrats and keep us posted on how the rest of the hunt goes for your buddies.

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Truly a unique bull, congrats! That second pic, for some reason, sure looks like you let ALL the air out of him!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:29 am

Thanks guys.....here's a few bulls we've found. I had the first one at 35 yards! Wally passed this bull last weekend......he's kicking himself now, as the bugling has really tapered off.

This is one taken through my spotting scope that I found about 20 miles away from our camp.......this is a BIG typical 8x6 that should go just over 350". He's in a tough place to hunt.....but a gorgeuos bull. They're trying for him today.

Pope & Young Measurer

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 am

That is sweet. Congrats. Can't beat AZ for some good bulls.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:28 pm

Great looking bull.

It almost reminds me of the people that dress as half man and half woman. :))

Walking one way looks like a raghorn but if it turns around then you're looking at a monster.

Ahh who am I kidding I would be proud of either side of him.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Nice Bull Congrats
THE LORD IS MY ROCK