Back only because I have to be.

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Back only because I have to be.

Post by Meathunter13 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:00 pm

Im convinced that there is no better time in the mountains above 9k ft than in the fall.The scouting season had ended, It had been a good year and many hard earned miles on the bots. Id seen many of elk and learned more than I could dream. This years scouting was as always in areas I wasnt going to hunt and of course the ones I would. This year wasnt about focusing on the big one (Whaley as we called him) though he was in the area, it was about learning and getting into areas that my brother and I could get multiple chances at good animals. Though we both knew that there was a bull in the area that would keep us up at nights we almost avoided his area. His herd was small and he like many big bulls go nocturnal and change elevation and vegetation areas quickly when the pressure starts. My brother and I were hunting together... a rare feat, for many of the males in my family just simply dont get along. We scout alone, live alone and hunt alone.This would be a test not only to see if we could get along, but also be successful while doing so. I had drawn a muzzeloader tag and him an archery tag. With much early season debate on areas we would focus on to equipment and logistics we were finally set. The first 2 weekends he would have tags and I would not. Therefore I would be the dedicated caller. The first day of season led us into a basin where the big boy lived (whaley).Getting in there on him the first weekend maybe the only chance at him this year. Hes only big in a over hunted unit because he's smart, Pushing to private land earlier than the rest and keeping quiet. The rare bugles from him are as majestic of any ive ever heard. The first morning of the first weekend started the hunt was on. Not 5 minutes out of the truck on opening morning we could hear the bugles, They started early and at 4:15am we were working our way into a pinch between 2 creeks that the elk filtered through. As soon as light came over the top of the mountains we could see we were in elk. Bugles from all sides, The bulls and cows slipped by and yet nothing worthy of letting a arrow slip gave him a shot. They were responding and with much intent they had wanted us 2 legged cows to follow them to the bedding area. The first day was a success in any elk hunters book. We didnt arrow our bull or any elk for that matter, but on the mountain for 30 minutes and already in hundreds of elk is the way to start any season. The second an 3rd day followed suit. Though more elk were giving my brother shot opportunities a cow wasnt in order yet. And with
a 4 point limit in our unit these raghorns werent up to par. The pressure was starting and sure enough 2 days into the hunt "Whaley" pushed his small herd onto private and into a area the ranchers just dont hunt. He would stay there and our chances for him was now over.The next weekend bear season was in and I was back to old habits. SKipping around from mountain to mountain hitting the bear calls. This year only elk came in. The bugling was hot in the area I moved into and when my brother showed up the next day we were back into bugling elk the morning he showed up. And only 20 miles away from our first spot. A couple very close shot ops and a couple missed chances and the elk had us beat again. I sat feet from good legal bulls with my brother setup ahead of me. So close and yet so far. A couple of bulls that I had videod were still in the area. Back to work for 3 days and then the 10day trip back for muzzeloader season and to try and fill his archery tag.
The morning finally came when it was time to hunt for me. This year had been grueling with scouting and being in elk everyday trying to get him a shot. This morning 9-09 started just like all the rest. 4:15 in the morning we were walking straight up what the word "steep" is measured by in our books. at 5:15 the mountain blew up with bugles. The Cold clear sky with a full moon was the break the elk needed. This morning instead of being behind the elk we had a new plan. As we hiked up the hill we passed within 200yards of the first set of bugling and past the second set of bugling still working our way up the mountain. We busted elk after the 2nd set and after some intense moments with the cow calling the group stop and settled back in. We decided to make our move. We found the shelf they were on and we moved along it. Still we were behind the group, but our plan worked and again we had bugling on all sides. After some harsh words between my brother and I on the way to approach
the situation. After some trying minutes we decided to attempt to call down the bulls from the meadow/shelf above us. At least 3 legal bulls got excited about the bugle and cow calls with the scrapping of a tree they were on the shelf and came right to the edge, No real shot for an archer and a glimpse of a shot for a muzzeloader. (Well... I really wanted my brother to fill his first archery first elk tag, Id much rather him get a shot than me) Now the bulls were split off of the cows and the main herd. After a short civil discussion we decided to split up and one of us on each side of the bulls on the same ridge would be our best option for us to get a shot. I moved and would go up around one side of the meadow above us and my brother would go to the other. About 200 yards from the edge in a park I could see my bull scrapping an aspen tree. It was thick the aspen trucks looked like a grove of bamboo. The yellow leaves started falling much slower and the tunnel vision started. Estimated yardage 100 yards. Opening morning and only an hour of light with my brother making his silent stalk, I decided I couldnt miss to blow such a great chance and to miss and hinder his chances would mean I would be hanging from the meatpole.

So I crept and crept closer to the bull who was still obviously still enraged about my bugle/cow calls and tree scrapping. He let out some bugles and kept destroying the tree. The feet slipped fast and cautious and I thought Id barely moved until 70yards and then About 50 yards now and he was getting anxious, he would move soon and this was the time to decide. I was more than close enough for a muzzeloader shot and was pushing my scent cone closer to him. He quartered away and thats when my body started moving, My mind may have not been made up 100%... but the wheels were in motion and the practice took over, I slowly dropped to my knees and took a good rest on the aspen next to me. Aimed for the offside leg on the quarter away and squeezed the trigger. The hole to the elk was a decent size gap between the aspens and the smoke filled the valley.The bull started to bolt off towards my brother and the others did too. I hit the cow call immediately and the response was instant. Bugles rang out from all sides of me and then came the crash. There is no mistake when an elk falls on downed timber. Moments later my brother stood behind me... The elk were still in the area but gave him no shot. After having helped people kill their first elk and having packed out more than I care to count for others. Passing on many bulls last year and only filling cow tags in the past. My first bull was down. Is it the bull I recorded a week earlier thats still to be determined. The teamwork was great working on the bull and over 200lbs of processed meat in the coolers. We are still trying to fill my brothers archery tag, but I think if you asked both of us we'd say it was our best year yet.

A couple days later I let a 10 point buck walk past... its just not the same without my brother there, And besides in the hot desert miles back, packing it out without my help was less than desirable. My brother doesnt want to go up now without me calling and helping. Now we are both sold on what a team we make.
Attachments
bullelk3.JPG
bullelk3.JPG (69.41 KiB) Viewed 7980 times
bullelk2.JPG
bullelk2.JPG (77.5 KiB) Viewed 7980 times
bullelk1.JPG
bullelk1.JPG (45.43 KiB) Viewed 7980 times

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:03 pm

Attachments
bullelk4.JPG
bullelk4.JPG (80.18 KiB) Viewed 7978 times
bullelk5.JPG
bullelk5.JPG (62.48 KiB) Viewed 7978 times
bullelk6.JPG
bullelk6.JPG (77.5 KiB) Viewed 7978 times

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Attachments
bullelk.JPG
bullelk.JPG (88.35 KiB) Viewed 7976 times

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:25 pm

Specifics= The bull was 50 yards when I took the shot. The bull went 50 yards after the shot before he fell. The bullet load was 90grains of pyrodex with a .410 great plains hornady bullet. Close to 100% weight retention. The shot looks too far back however the bullet was stuck just under the skin in the offside shoulder. both lungs 2 broken ribs on 1 side 1 rib on the other. broken offside shoulder.

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:00 pm

heck of a bull. congatulations or how ever you spell it.lol
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Nice bull!

He sure is wide.

Congratulations...
Hoyt

laredo42
Fawn
Fawn

Post by laredo42 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:16 pm

scouting pays off eh meat? congrats.
P s a l m 23

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:13 pm

so thats how you spell congratulations.lol
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:23 pm

bigbuck92 wrote:so thats how you spell congratulations.lol
It was all there except the R. You were so close!!!
Hoyt

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:40 pm

Great Job! Meathunter13. :thumb Congratulations on a fine Colorado bull. Great story of the hunt. Thanks, friend.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6