another Great Oregon Elk Hunt!!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
killerbee

another Great Oregon Elk Hunt!!

Post by killerbee » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:08 pm

Well I'm a few days behind, but we just finished up an elk hunt where my wife and my cousin both had tags and both were able to kill nice bulls.
First off- Hopefully I can text a few pictures to someone to get uploaded, I still haven't figured out how to do it directly from my phone ](*,)

The hunt started Wednesday and ended on Sunday, with only 5 days you don't have a lot of time to mess around!

So Wednesday it snowed all day and the elk didn't seem to be moving at all, we went on some huge hikes and didn't cut any fresh tracks anywhere. Finally about an hour before dark I found 2 bull tracks and since this was the first we had seen for the day we all started following them together. We were gaining great ground on the bulls but they were also headed towards private land. at about 15 minutes before it got dark, and with the tracks being only a couple hundred yards away from private , we decided to bail out and head back to the rig. Well half way back to the rig I spot a 5 point bull 2 hundred yards away and tell my wife to get ready- out of nowhere my cousin starts banging away and shoots the bull right in front of her............... :)) :)) JUST KIDDING( I know he'll be lurking and reading this so I couldn't help it:) ) REWIND BACK TO WHERE WE HEADED TOWARDS THE TRUCK- so with 15 minutes of light left, being the nice husband I am, I took my wife's gun and put it in my gun scabbard and carry it out for her. well a few minutes later, and following a GPS that ended up putting us 1/2 mile AWAY from are rig, I spot the 5 point- my wife tried to get the gun out of my pack, but it was stuck in there,I TOTALLY HOSED HER but It worked out great as my cousin was able to kill the bull before it got away. It was probably 200-250 yards, offhand, and he put the bull down. It was a nice 5x5 and we were stoked to have 1 bull down and 4 days left to fill the other!

So the next day We went up to retrieve the bull in my Suzuki Samurai , since there is not a lot of space, My wife stayed at camp while we went to get the bull- Wouldn't you know it- We had a big heard cross the road 100 yards in front of us with at least 8 spikes and 2 branch bulls in the group- and nobody with an elk tag with us :))

later that day we crossed another lone big bull track and me and My wife set out after him. We we gaining ground fast but he took us out of the snow into the lower elevation and that put an end to are evening hunt.

Friday was pretty un-eventfull, all we seen was 4 cows .
Saturday was pretty slow as well, we did see 1 good bull right at daylight, but he was moving when we spotted him and wasn't about to stick around for her to shoot him.

So Sunday, the last day of the hunt , we decided it was an all or nothing day, we planned a hike that was going to cover a ton of ground and hopefully turn up a bull. Off we went, the wind was great all morning and it seemed we should have been seeing some elk. There was fresh sign everywhere so we just kept checking meadows, trails, draws, or anything else that looked like it should have an elk standing in it. finally we were Making are way up a ridge when i look over and see a bull standing there looking at me at 80 yards.

I tell my wife To get her gun, she pulls up and as the bull starts to spin she hits him a little far back. He ran Over the hill, so we did too- little did I realize, There were 5 6 point bulls running together. I've hunted in Oregon ALOT and have never seen something like that before! Her bull was lagging back about 50 yards and she hit him 2 more times- both in the rib cage. The other bulls were out of sight now and her bull just made it out of sight. We followed his blood and tracks over the hill and found him laying down. 1 more shot and it was all over!

We were both stoked- this is my wife's 1st bull, and she did pretty good for a first one. She even packed the head and horns farther than I did out to the nearest road.

Now if Springville Shooter decides to cash in his points next year, maybe we can do this again :thumb

we didn't get very good pics of my cousins bull-it was a Long, late hike out of there so I just have some pics in the dark.
I also have pics of another bull that I drove out for some guys with My Samourai, this bull should have been A TOAD! unfortunately he was busted on both sides after his 4ths. His body was HUGE, His front end was HUGE, just to bad he was broke so badly!

Again- if anyone has a moment, I can send the pics to your phone and hopefully get them up! If you want to send me a text for the pics it's 541-233-3619

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: another Great Oregon Elk Hunt!!

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:35 am

Awesome Killer.....you know that I've been anxoiusly waiting for your report on this hunt. I look forward to your pics.-----SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:19 am

Nice! Congrads to your wife and cousin. I can't wait for my wife to get her first elk as well.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

Here are the pics from Killer......I'm in next year for sure, might even have enough points to take someone along for the ride.-----SS
Attachments
Killerbull6.jpg
Killerbull5.jpg
Killerbull4.jpg
Killerbull3.jpg
Killerbull2.jpg
Killerbull1.jpg

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:22 am

Thanks a bunch SS!

TahoeRy
Fawn
Fawn

Post by TahoeRy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:00 am

Great Elk! I love the pic with the elk on the back of the samurai. It amazing how big they are. Nice Hunt!

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:06 pm

Just looked up the odds Killer, I can draw with 100% and spare 3 points. Looks like lucky 13 will be the year for me to cash in them elk points. 10sign: --------SS

Tyewire
2 point
2 point

Post by Tyewire » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Nice pics! What unit?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Springville Shooter wrote:Just looked up the odds Killer, I can draw with 100% and spare 3 points. Looks like lucky 13 will be the year for me to cash in them elk points. 10sign: --------SS
Right on! I think you'll have a great time!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:15 am

Well done Killer, that Jeep pic cracks me up. Elk are big animals.