Willaims, AZ

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Willaims, AZ

Post by CaHntr » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:28 pm

I took my family to Williams, AZ for the Polar Express Train ride this Thanksgiving. We got there after dark on Thanksgiving day so I was not able to see the country much but could tell we were climbing in altitude and getting into forest and all the Elk crossing signs. The couple of times that I can ever remember going through Flagstaff/Williams area when I was young was at night. Friday morning we woke up and got to check out the town some, this was a short trip so I didn't get to get out and scout around. I went to the only sporting goods store that I had seen in town and the owner wasn't the friendliest guy I've met. For an outdoors store, he didn't seem to like hunters much. He went on to tell me that hunters in that area don't understand the real meaning of hunting and they were just after something to put on the wall. The only info he gave me was pointing to the Regulation Book and a free forest road map of the area.

I guess my question is how is the elk hunting in that area? I have never hunted Arizona and don't know the first place to look. On the drive home I did look through the regs and found that the area south of Williams is Unit 8. I want to do an Archery bull hunt during the rut and it seems the season is during that time. Anybody want to throw me a bone?

BOHNTR

Re: Willaims, AZ

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:23 am

You'll need some bonus points to hunt that unit.....well actually any unit in AZ but especially that one. North of Williams is unit 10......one of the most sought after units in the state. Unit 8 is a quality unit too, with some trophy bulls. As such, elk hunting in the area is really good. You'll just need some years of applying to hunt there.....even with a bow.
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

CaHntr
Spike
Spike

Post by CaHntr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Well that's a bummer. Going to have to find out other locations in the state maybe. Wish I would have started applying sooner. Are the units the same for deer?

Mularcher
4 point
4 point

Post by Mularcher » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 am

I had the same experience with that sports store owner. If you ever go back there is a second sports store just a half block before his store on the same side of the road. Very friendly guy and actually help me locate some decent deer hunting areas. If you hunt the OTC Mule Deer in that area PM me I was able to locate several bucks in the January hunt but slim pickings in August.
“If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.” Fred Bear

105Coues
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 105Coues » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

I killed a 372 5/8" in unit 10 last year with a broken sword. DIY no guide but lots of scouting and I live in AZ which helps. Any of the AZ units can be a good hunt. Tough hunt but a good hunt.