Elk or deer for my first hunt?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
can't_decide
Fawn
Fawn

Elk or deer for my first hunt?

Post by can't_decide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:52 pm

I'm new to the forum, and new to hunting as well. This year I'm planning for my first hunt in Utah (resident), but can't decide on putting in for elk or deer. I'd rather only go for one this year. I'm hoping people on here can give me some suggestions for making it a success. Regardless of animal, I want to stay in northern Utah (thinking Kamas, or North Slope regions). I want to backpack in, in an effort to limit the number of hunters I'd compete with. Humping large loads isn't much of an issue for me, my biggest concern is how hard are herds to locate when in the back country, and how successful are Kamas and the North Slope when leaving behind roads, and ATV trails.

Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Re: Elk or deer for my first hunt?

Post by brn2hunt » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:27 pm

Welcome! Lots of Utah folks on here! unfortunatley I cant help you out.. But good luck and dont forget to come back and share it with us when you get it all figured out!
"Ne A La Chasse"

ABert

Post by ABert » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:25 pm

I don't know the areas you plan on hunting, but if you plan on doing the hunt by yourself, deer no question about it. Deer tend not to "herd", elk do. Much easier to find deer, in most instances, than to find elk. Deer are also much easier to get out of the woods than any elk, hands down.

I'd suggest you get up to the areas and scout a bit. If there is more elk sign by far than deer, by all means, go after the elk.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:24 pm

Welcome to the site.

Which weapon do you plan on hunting with? Those areas can be some tough hunting and I would second getting out scouting as much as you can.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

can't_decide
Fawn
Fawn

Post by can't_decide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:10 pm

I've got a Ruger American in .30-06. Haven't had a chance to take it out yet, but plan to spend a fair amount of time with it.

What do you mean by "tough hunting"? limited numbers of animals? terrain? lots of hunters? I've spent a lot of time camping in those areas in the past, but haven't been there much in the last few years. Terrain I don't see as much of an issue personally, I've always loved backpacking, and the Army has helped me keep up with carrying heavy loads over crappy terrain as well. I was hoping these areas would be good for starting out, but would you recommend any others in northern Utah?

Thanks!

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:40 pm

The Kamas/Soapstone areas gets ALOT of pressure during the hunts. It sounds like you have some knowledge of the area and that is a good start. The other thing that you have going is that you are willing to hike. Now find some of the deepest, darkest, nastiest stuff that you can find and hunt hard. :thumb
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

vandalpride
Fawn
Fawn

Post by vandalpride » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 pm

I had an archery deer tag on the North Slope last year but I was primarily elk hunting. I saw several bucks but nothing I could get within 40 yards of. I think deer hunting is a good choice for you this year and if you don't draw a tag buy an elk tag instead. The north slope and kamas are both any bull units for elk. You might consider a spike tag as well and hunting either the Cache or Wasatch units.

Also, check into cow hunts in June for elk.