Monster
Monster

Elk deaths in Wyoming

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:49 am

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:30 pm

Dang, that isn't cool at all. Hope they can figure out what the problem is quick. Sounds scary. Thanks for the link.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:02 pm

I AM FROM RAWLINS WYOMING AND JUST RECENTLY MOVED TO JACKSON HOLE. MY DAD WENT OUT AND WAS HELPING OUT THE GAME BIOLOGIST AND GAME WARDENS FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS AND TRYING TO FIND THE REMAINDER OF DEAD CARCASSES. ANYYWAY THEY FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM WAS SOME SORT OF LICHEN THAT WAS TOXIC TO THE ELK. MY DAD HAS BEEN HUNTING IN THAT UNIT FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS AND WAS REALLY DISTRAUGT AT ALL THE ELK DYING. AND ALSO ONE OF MY GOOD BUDDIES DAD OWNS THE PHILMORE RANCH OUT AT THE BASE OF ATLANTIC RIM OR DALEY RIM AREA. AND I WAS TALKING WITH HIM THIS WEEKEND AS HE IS A ANIMAL SCIENCE MAJOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING AND WORKS AT THE VET LAB AT THE SCHOOL AND ALTHOUGH THEY DO HAVE AN ANSWER AS TOO HOW THE ELK DIED THERE ARE STILL ALOT OF QUESTIONS THAT NEED TO BE ANSWERED AS TOO WHY THEY ATE SO MUCH OF IT. I WILL KEEP ALL POSTED IF ANY MORE NEWS IS HEARD(
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:20 pm

WYMULEYMAN, thanks for the info. Although I am not from that area, it certainly concerns me as I am sure it does most hunters. I did happen to see the update in the news where a lichen or moss was to blame. I guess I have the same questions as most.....if it was always there why is it now a problem and why were the Elk eating it? Hopefulyl we'll find out more soon.
Thanks again.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:22 pm

they say that somehow it has to do with the fact that the drought we like everyone else has been having. somehow the drought make the lichen toxic to the elk or something. i have not heard for certain but the rumors going around is that area 21 which is south of rawlins will be possibly closed to hunting this year or at least the permits will be cut back drastically. although the cows were affected worse than the bulls the game department is still concerned about the whole herd in general.

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:55 am

Wow. Man that stuff sure scares me both as a hunter and an outdoorsman. I really hope this is an isolated incident and that everything turns out for the better!

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:48 am

to be honest with you man, i think it has actually got some good coming out of it. the elk are becoming overpopulated and to me personally, i am no biologist or such, i think there are just too many elk, at least in south wyoming.

there were alot of different issues that came up during the investigations that scared everyone. the obvious, is the meat from these elk going to kill humans. that was the biggest issue that people had. my two little sisters killed elk out there in 2003 and that was there first thought. but anyway like i said earlier i think some good has come out of it and they are investigating to make sure it was just an isolated incident and not something that will continue to happen.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:27 pm

WYMULEYMAN,

Thanks for the info and update, I hadn't heard anything until your post.
Hope they get to the bottom of the problem so this wont happen again.

By the way...
do you hunt for all those elk shed up there with the rest of the country??

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:26 am

There is a game and fish meeting set to take place sometime the week of april 12-16 in rawlins to discuss issues surrounding the elk die off. i am going back home for easter as of next thursday and my dad and a couple other concerned hunting enthusiasist are going to put together a presentation to the game and fish concerning some issues that we feel need some attention from our biologists, wardens, and law makers. although i will not be present for the meeting i do have some computer and presentation skills so i am going to just help get the material put together.

Muleymadness, i assume when you asked if i hunt for all the sheds with the rest of the country, you meant up here in jackson hole. to tell you the truth i am not very impressed with the way the game and fish conduct themselves surrounding the sheds up here, espically on the national elk refuge in north jackosn. it is a long story and if you want i can tell you what i mean but i think just by telling you what i have you get the picture. so to answer your question i really don't think i will be shed hunting here in jackson, espically anywhere around the refuge. with the way they have it set up by the time just anyone can go hunt sheds they are pretty much gone. although i have went out on the refuge a number of times this winter and there were a couple big ole' bulls i wouldn't mind picking up there sheds.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:33 pm

muleymadness:

:( just thought i would give you a quick update. i went south of town at lunch time to see if i could relocate this big ole' muley i have been watching for some time now. i really wanted his sheds as he is a buck in the 210-220b&c range. and the whole time there has only been one other old boy watching this brute of a mule deer. anyhow, :( :( :( :( :( the deer was killed by a vehicle this mornig. man what a kick to the manhood. i can't believe it!!! there was a ranger hanging out doing paparwork i expect and i stopped to talk with him and he informed me of the tradgedy. the only animal i really wanted sheds from is now dead and untouchable since he was killed by a motorist