how to dress?????

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

how to dress?????

Post by PAtrooper » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:08 pm

How do I dress for a mid october elk hunt in Idaho?? I was thinking thermals, another lightweight shirt and then a jacket. I would also probably take another shirt along in case I get cold. I hear it gets in the 20's at night and could get up to 60-70 in the daytime. Whats up with that.
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

LIVE2HUNT
Spike
Spike

Post by LIVE2HUNT » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:54 pm

BRING EVERYTHING YOU OWN FOR HUNTING CLOTHES. LAST YEAR I WAS IN IDAHO'S BACK COUNTRY HUNTING ELK. ON OCTOBER 1, ME AND MY HUNTING PARTNER SAT ON A RIDGE @ 8500' FT EATING LUNCH WEARING SHORT SLEEVE T-SHIRTS, AND PANTS. THE THERMOMETER ON MY PACK READ 76 DEGREES.
TWO YEARS AGO I HUNTED SOUTHERN IDAHO ON A DRAW HUNT, AND AGAIN IT WAS IN THE MID TO UPPER 70'S TOWARDS THE END OF OCTOBER.
BUT, I HAVE ALSO ARCHERY HUNTED FOR ELK DURING THE FIRST PART OF SEPTEMBER IN MAJOR SNOW STORMS (MORE TOWARDS THE CENTRAL PART OF THE STATE). SO AS THE OLD THEORY GOES, "LAYER UP".

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:49 am

PATROOPER, I can second LIVE2HUNT's statements. I grew up in that part of the country and man can the temps swing from one end of the thermometer to the other in a hurry. And it never fails, if your wearing thermals and such the temps will soar into the 70's and if your packing nothing but warm weather gear, you're sure to see the winter temps hit.
LAYERS, LAYERS, LAYERS!!!!!!!
As for what's up with the temperature differences....I'm a military meteorologist and I can certainly explain it but that'll take all the fun out of it!

PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

weather

Post by PAtrooper » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:56 pm

Thanks agchawk. If your a meteorologist, just tell me what the weather will be like oct 15th to 23rd in idaho. Then I will know how to dress. thanks LOL
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:06 am

Partly cloudy occasionally mostly cloudy with intermittent precipitation throughout the period. High temperatures ranging from the low 70s to the high 20's with lows from the mid 40s to the high teens.
How's that PATROOPER?! LOL

PAtrooper
Fawn
Fawn

Post by PAtrooper » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:33 pm

now I take that forecast and times it by 30 percent (the amount of time a weather man is correct) and I should have a good Idea what to wear. Ha HA
FOP Member
NRA Member
NAHC Member

jkhunterid
Fawn
Fawn

Post by jkhunterid » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:22 am

August 26th and I can see snow on top of the mountains in units 50 and 51. Of course it could be 90+ tommorow.