Rifle vs Bow Hunting

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
roybram
Spike
Spike

Rifle vs Bow Hunting

Post by roybram » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:16 pm

Which would be easier for a new hunter to do ? Kill a elk during bow season or during rifle season ?

And which rifle season is best for a NR to hunt and why ?

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:57 am

the easyest would be rifle. but i hear bow is quite the challenge.
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

RooDog
2 point
2 point

Post by RooDog » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:53 pm

I agree a rifle would be easiest to kill elk. The season depends on what state you will be hunting and what the weather is like. Bull or cow?

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:41 pm

To me thats a tough question. There are bow hunters that go out and kill an elk almost every year, and some big bulls at that. The same for some rifle hunters. I really don't know?

Bow hunting is during the rut Elk are much more visible, you got to get close obviously.

Rifle hunting, you have more room for error.

Hopefully we can hear more from the Elk hunters.

lifetime hunter
3 point
3 point

Post by lifetime hunter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:01 pm

:-k that's an easy one for me... Rifle is easier! just cuz I've never shot a bow! hee hee

~I know I need to but as of right now never have! :arrow

so good question! I am looking forward to some experienced elk hunters comments!
Welcome to Utah................Now GO HOME!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Pretty much all of my experience is in Colorado on public land. I really like to hunt elk with a bow during the rut. I usually have action almost everyday but it is difficult to get within 50 or so yards for a shot. The wind swirls and all can cause some problems on the stalk. The main thing I like about bow hunting elk is they're doing their normal thing and aren't really that spooky but I usually hunt elk with a rifle and by then they're scared and not doing their normal thing. I have around a 50% success rate with my rifle and only a 33% success rate with my bow, so far. I plan on muzzleloader hunting for Colorado elk in the future.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

roybram
Spike
Spike

Post by roybram » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Hiker, if you dont mind me asking and i am not tring to pin point where you hunt or anything like that. But what part of Co do you bow hunt in ?

And do you hunt entirely on foot ? Or do you use a 4 wheeler or horse to get back into elk when you are hunting on public land ?

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:38 am

I bowhunted by Paonia and rifle hunt all over the state. I spent close to 10 years hunting by Vail. Most of my good elk areas have very few deer, so I usually split up those seasons and hunt them seperately. I pretty much always hunt on foot and hike in and haul the game out on my back, unless there's a road nearby, if there is a road, we'll drive a truck over and load it up. Last year we did have the Blessing of have a good friend haul our WY antelope out on a 4 wheeler. One year I had a guy offer to haul out my elk on his mules, which was a real blessing because I was hunting by myself and killed this elk way back in. When we kill a elk, we all work as a team and quarter them up and haul them out together, "many hands make light load". I pretty much hunt public land with everyone else but try to out work them and by God's grace He usually gives me game.
Hiker

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:04 am

A couple of years ago my wife and I drew ranching for wildlife tags and the rancher was great. He hauled out my elk on his truck. They also hauled out my cow and my brides bull on their 4 Wheelers. That was fantastic. :thumb My daughter wants to start hunting horseback and I think with a few more twists of my arm she might talk me into it. :)
Hiker

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:33 pm

It's no secret that I am pretty biased toward hunting with a bow. But it's only because I love the perks it brings with the hunt.
- You're usually the first to hunt that species of animal for that year. (Or at least they've had a long time with no pressure ie- from January to sometime in the fall).
- You have the opportunity to hunt the rut. HUGE PLUS IMO. The boys are out being stupid chasin the girls, and for the most part, they aren't thinking about staying out of sight from you.
- Yes you do need to be closer with a bow - but you typically have more of that kind of "close opportunity" due to the rut. And I don't think there is a better experience on earth than being next to a screaming bull. Especially if you called him in! I honestly think it's easier to find them during the archery season because you can hear them, follow the bugles.
-If you're not a great caller, or spot and stalker, hey there's always treestands!
- When it comes down to it, it really depends on what you want out of your hunt, and how much time you want to dedicate to it. I suppose if you just want kill success, it doesn't really matter - probably go rifle. If you want an unforgettable expereince and a pretty darn good chance at taking an animal- go archery. No matter what, you need to be experienced enough to make kill shots on your animals with your weapon of choice. You need to have adequate knowledge of your weapon. And if you don't want to put the kind of time and practice it takes to go archery, then I strongly suggest you go rifle. Anyone can shoot a gun, if you don't believe that - just watch the news.
- On the other hand don't think that it takes years to get good with a bow. With the technology out today, bows are extremely easy to shoot and can be very forgiving. Just get to know someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to bows and hunting to help you a long.
Im not knocking rifle hunters. I rifle hunt deer occasionally. But I honestly have no desire to EVER hunt elk with a rifle. Just because its so much stinkin' fun to hunt them with a bow. We go out during arechery elk season every year weather we have tags or not. Someone is usually helping someone else on a hunt somewhere, and getting just as much enjoyment out of it.
No matter what you choose do your homework! Scout, scout, scout. You need to know where they are and what they're doing. Learn the animal you're hunting!!! Animals do different things from season to season. They are in different areas often, and in different social groups. Know where they will be when you're going to be out there. If you're going to be archery hunting - learn to call ( or make good friends with someone who knows how). You're going to have to spend time researching the state in which you'll be hunting. Find out things like hunt success, number of tags, etc. Ask people who've hunted there before what it was like, did they have a lot of problem with other hunters??
I guess I've rambled on long enough, my vote goes to :arrow .
If you don't decide, or have the opportunity to archery elk hunt now, do yourself a favor and get to it sometime soon. If you do it right I'd bet that you'll cherish that experience for the rest of your life, and more than likely become addicted to it. I did.