Buglin' those majestic Bulls in!!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
MuzzyBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Buglin' those majestic Bulls in!!

Post by MuzzyBuck » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:38 pm

So I'm definitley a new comer to the forumn, and I was just curious for a little advice from around the Big Game world. We're mostly Mule Deer hunters and are just getting into hunting elk. I am very new to calling elk and have no experience. I was hoping to get some good advice on what calls have you seen to work best for you to get the bulls to come in. And where's a good starting point for someone like myself. I live in Utah and am going on an Any Bull hunt around October 6th so the main ruttin will be through, but I've heard they still respond to a cow then. So I've started in getting a Primo's hoochie mama squeeze call and am working on my calling with three mouth calls by Primo's which are the Mini Sonic Dome Double, the Sonic Dome Single, and the Imperial Plate Double. Again any advice and experience would be much appreciated thanks.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:44 pm

i use a bugle to locate the bull. then use cow calls to bring in the bull for a closer look :thumb
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:53 pm

I would go on some of the LE's and play around with your calls on some of those bulls. There are plenty of them to listen too.
There's always next year

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:51 am

Calling on LE units will get you enemies and will teach you little on how the bulls in the open areas will respond in October where they get alot of pressure, IMHO. I recommend you go out at midnight and do a locate bugle, this will give you an idea where to start in the morning, then use the mouth calls, any of the three you listed will work. Leave the hoochie at camp, every other hunter has one, and they all sound exactly the same. Good luck, and be patient. Heavy-pressured bulls will come in, but not on a rope/run, and most likely they will come in quiet, so stay put for atleast 1/2 hour after your last call.

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:17 pm

Pro has some good advice there but for making enemies for calling on LE's. Well they can kiss my butt on that one. (Except for you Pro). I'll stay away from Dutton. BTW, have the bulls started to harem up on the LE's?
There's always next year

MuzzyBuck
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MuzzyBuck » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:34 pm

Thanks, alot. That's all some good stuff, and a great place to start. I'll be heading out soon to try it out. Again thanks, and any other advice or feedback would be awesome.

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:53 pm

Here is the most important thing I've learned through trial and error. Just because you don't have a bull screaming at you doesn't mean they're not there. If you're in an area that you know holds bulls, I would sit down and cow call. Then I'd have patience enough to wait. Next, I'd wait some more. Finally, wait some more. I wouldn't even think about moving for at least 30 minutes unless there are bulls screaming somewhere else that you know you can get to. Most people that don't get a response within a few minutes will immediately get up and move to another spot. The majority of the bulls that I've been able to call in on a general hunt come in silently and it usually takes them a while. I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that a lot of people have success calling in bulls, but move before they show up.

This method is slower than what most people like because it doesn’t cover as much ground, but it only takes one. Good luck!

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:19 pm

muzzybuck-
If you are hunting a general season any bull, leave your calls in camp. After opening morning and a few shots are fired, those bulls will be EXTREMELY tight lipped and won't respond to anything "natural" by this point.
Pro had a good point though, if you ARE going to call, do it in the middle of the night, that will be your best time i'd say to get a response...if you get one at all. My advice is to get yourself a good place like a natural crossing or an obvious place that pressured elk will use to get away from all the hunters.
Another tactic is after the first couple days, most of the elk will be holed up in heavy timber. If you are just out to kill "any bull" and don't mind jumpshooting, go sneak around through the pines, you'll be amazed at how many elk you'll see. You can use your cow calls in this siuation so the elk aren't as nervous when they hear you trying to sneak around in there.
Good luck!! :thumb

proutdoors
3 point
3 point

Post by proutdoors » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:30 pm

ridgetop wrote:Pro has some good advice there but for making enemies for calling on LE's. Well they can kiss my butt on that one. (Except for you Pro). I'll stay away from Dutton. BTW, have the bulls started to harem up on the LE's?
The smaller bulls(320-350) are herding up the cows, I watched a 400 class bull this morning, he didn't even lift his head when a 330 'herd bull' screamed right at him, although I located him from getting him to bugle at 1:00 am.

I am just saying, if you go out on a LE unit while a hunt is going, try and be mindful there are people out there on a once in a life time hunt. Just think how you would feel in a given situation. :-k

PRO
The Mind can only serve one Master, either gratitude or despair--but not both.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:30 pm

you have heard them bulls bugling already huh! i havent herd a thing yet.