315 score

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
mulybow
Spike
Spike

315 score

Post by mulybow » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:33 pm

First week of july I decide to put cuddeback camera, waited and collect all pictures of bulls, cows, etc. Every place it didnt turn out good until find a right spot and know there is good hunting area. Sept 8th I went hunting bowing. 3 cow walk by me 20 ft. no bull yet. next day and for 2 days I waited and making cow calls many times no luck nothing. so I went home and then 4th day I went back at 4pm every day after work only seen cows coming but no bull coming to me while I am trying make a cow calls. I personal (DEAF) and I been hunting 15 years and it was so hard for me to not hear where bugle come from or cow calls. I became very very patiently every year to be became better hunter. so then I checked cuddeback pictures each night before I leave home. there is two very nice bulls STILL around. I was mad that I couldnt hear any bugle calls while I was making cow calls. So on 15th sept I was out hiding and making cow calls and finially 30 cows came by and I kept wait and make some few cows again and again, 2by 2 bull ran up to herd and I draw bow at 60 yards steady holding and thinking in my mind say NO NO.... Remember to prove I am great hunter. so I didnt release arrow and let him go. so I watched them playing around for 30 min.
next day I come back nothing for 4 days I look up my card from cuddeback, they were not around. I was upset about this. I believe some other hunter have push them away. on 20th which is one more day deadline season closing on sept 21 evening. I been working every day and get some chance to hunt. It was sometime hard when I have a little daugther and wife. I tried so hard to spend time with them and feel frustrate that I didnt get some chance to hunt. but I am thankful for what I can do some of my time to hunt. I am thankful that my wife will patient wait for me to come home and talk about stories. We meet at resturant after work around 4pm and ate with my family. We decide to go home and I text my wife can I go hunt for little. she said go ahead come home safe. so I went out hiking to my spot and wait there around 530pm I made a calling cows sound many times. for 1 hour later around 630 still nothing I was wonder what am I supposed to do here if I am deaf, I cant hear any sound of calls or snapp sticks by walking, or is there another hunter out around making calls too? may be wrong spot for me then I all sudden notice 2 cows coming so I freeze myself to be very QUIET and make 1 low cow and surprised BULL ran curve seem MAD BULL and he was bugling sooo many times shake his rack on ground and run around cows coming toward to me and I draw my bow and figure distance my guess between 40 to 50 he kept raning and bugle and walking around cows and bugle. make me sooo excited and said to me self BE THINK HARD! foucs on what I need to do. I had my cow call in my mouth holding waiting and he walk toward away from me and I make little hard cow call he turn stop there at between 45yd so I stand up SOFTLY because I was behind a stump couldnt move left. so I raise myself over stump and aim at him perfectly spot He start to find what he was looking at so I loose my arrow it hit above lung which I was wrong it was supposed to be 40 DANG so I stand and making cow calls and calls he was ran down 80 yds stand there for 20 min so I back out and go home get my light and helmet lights in case it get dark and bring my wife and daugther. I went back after wait one hour, my wife and I looking for blood trail. Found first spot and lay pink ribbon on branchs and keep going and keep going I suspected it didnt hit lung so I was start to worried. I keep trying and trying looking HARDER for long trail of blood. it was very tiny. like 10 spots of cherrio size. Also found many wet drops from mouth show me they are suffering. so I kept stay on trail of where bull walking and past 400 yards from shot, I told my wife D%$# it it was not good shot so she said keep trying. she called her dad at 10pm dark and ask him to come out help and bring more lights. He said NAH GOTTA sleep. he said I will come out in morning. I said no way.. I dont want to waste one of bull out forest. I want to find him so later at 11 30 my wife said I gotta go home I am tired and daugther is tired. so we leave all ribbon trails back to our truck and go home drop off and I measured distance last ribbon was about almost less 3/4 mile so I talked to laura what do you think. she said YOU better try hard may be. so I said ok I will try hard and not taking any sleep. so I bring more battery for lights. so I went back and bring my bow which I was smarter in case if still alive. so I walking down to last ribbon and contiune looking it getting HARD to find some bloods but I notice few foams of wet mouth on plants so this help me a lot and sweaty from shock. it hits some plants make me better to contiune. After 2am almost 6 to 7 hours trying soo hard I kept smell Elk scents and I know they are somewhere . I believe my shot was not good hit but it was perfect stright to lung but may be in my mind picture where arrow was hit when he ran. I believe it was few inches high than lung. So I was very tired and frustrate. so I keep walking and looking so hard for more blood spots. and I kept looking with flash light and ALL SUDDEN I saw two EYES I freeze my self and I have a helmet light on also I put my flash light in my wallet and load my bow ready to aim and walk forward to what is out there. I wasnt sure what EYE was. I was almost 30 yards THIS BULL WAS sitting and trying get up Look sooooo PAINFUL so I walk little forward to 20 yards and I aim and make a good 2ND arrow loose in to liver he start to ran 40 yards STUBBORN BULL kept runnning away from ME! Make me mad. so FINIALLY he dropped and died with in 15 min after 2nd shot. so I walked to him THANK LORD that I found him. I am very proud of my self for not GIVING UP on finding him.
I Look at my GPS and Set a bull spot. so I went back to my truck it said on gps was 1 mile and half from shot to dead. I was shocked ubelieveable since 630 till 3 what a burn night and call my wife thur text and she come back with trailer and drive around on gps see if I can get short cut and FOUND a better way to get thur and LUCKY we got there I THANK FOR GPS. This is my 3rd bull with in 15 years. you gotta to be patient and enjoy hunting, dont give up on trailing blood. It can be hard. but make all of us better hunter!
I want to thank u all for your time to read my story. I hope you all have a great hunting season.

chat with you later..
mulybow. :thumb
Attachments
bull 014.jpg
bull 014.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 4689 times

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Congrats on a great bull. Way to go keeping on the blood trail. Good to see you did not give up. Thanks for the story as well. If you have him mounted make sure you post some pics of the final mount.

Congrats again, and welcome to the madness.
Deadi

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 pm

Mulybow, That was a great story of your hunt. Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us. I'm very thankful that you found your bull. Sounds like you have a great and understanding wife. Way to stick with it until you found him. It looks like you made a great shot on that bull afterall. Congrats again and we appreciate the photo.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:02 am

Great bull and a great story of sticking with it! Congrats!
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:27 am

mulybow

Very nicely done, looks like you put in your homework and it paid off big time. Congrats on a FINE animal, thanks for sharing your story and photo.

I'd be very happy with him, and a bow makes it all that much tougher.

mulybow
Spike
Spike

Thank you!!!

Post by mulybow » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:24 am

Thank you all and DeadI of course I am mount full head. :thumb I will take pic after I got it back.

Gotta go hunting MULE :arrow . Hopefully get one soon. lets see....

Mulybow

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:18 pm

mulybow, great story, great persistance, and an AWESOME BULL!!

CONGRATS!

alpinbowman
Spike
Spike

Post by alpinbowman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:35 pm

That is a slamming bull. great job on the tracking. Good luck on your next hunt.
alpinebowman

>>>---shots that are true pass right through--->

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Great bull and even better story!
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

mulybow
Spike
Spike

Re: 315 score

Post by mulybow » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:51 am

Hey I just got my bull from taxid buddy did really good job! =D> I got put up my bull on wall today! :)

mulybow.
Attachments
2.16.08 006.jpg