AZ elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

AZ elk

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:17 am

Another archery season has come and gone here in AZ, and although we weren't the ones behind the string this year, we still had a great time up in the woods. We went up to help a young man - Christian - on his first archery elk hunt. He put a lot of time and effort into scouting and doing things right (36 days to be exact), and it ended up paying off for him in the end. He hunted for over a week, and had various opportunities during that time, but either he opted to pass on the bull, or something just didn't go as one would hope. My husband - Manny - was the caller for the hunt, and there were various people running the camera through out the 8 day ordeal (It was a fairly large elk camp!). Close to the end of the hunt, Manny was working a bull, I think it was like 6 x 11, (to my knowledge the never got video of this bull) and had him at about 100 yards when another hunter (unassociated with our camp) shot twice at the bull. He missed completely once, and hit the bull in the pedicle the second time. The bull left, and after questioning the shooter - who said he was unaware the bull was being worked - they went to see if they could get another chance at a bull before dark. But no such luck.
Even though calling bulls in was pretty tough, the bulls weren't really with cows yet for a majority of the hunt, and it was REALLY windy. They ended up sealing the deal at literally the last moment Manny was available to call for Christian. (I'll see if I can't get a copy of the video). Just before dark, they called a bull in to about 40 yards from Christian. He was at full draw for nearly a minute and a half before he took the shot. The bull didn't go far, but they gave him plenty of time. So after coming back to camp to eat some ribs, we all went back out to find him. The tracking was short lived, and ended with lots of smiles and photos.
Here's Manny and Christian with Christian's well deserved first archery elk bull.
Attachments
christianselk07.jpg
christianselk07.jpg (102.5 KiB) Viewed 6179 times
- Tiana

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:31 am

M&M, that's a great lookin' bull! CONGRATS to the young man!

AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:28 pm

Great Bull! What kind of country are you hunting in?

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:57 pm

He was a happy guy for sure! I would be to!
Antlers - he took this bull in the pines, but they hunted both pine and juniper country, with shot opportunities in both.
- Tiana

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 am

GREAT STORY! :good post

Congrats to the hunter and all involved, sounds like you did your homework and it PAID off at 'crunch' time.

Spike
Spike

Post by 270 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:00 pm

:thumb great pictures & story! nothing will ever take that smile off of his face! great memories!

ryanazares
Fawn
Fawn

I Love Arizona!

Post by ryanazares » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Of all the country I've ever hunted elk, Arizona is hands down my favorite! I love the time of year they put you into the field with a bow and I love how you can still hunt in shorts, but the bulls will come in to a little "cow talk."

The genetics and the health of the animals in AZ always impresses me. One of these days I will draw unit 9. Until then, congrats to the hunter. Great bull!
She Doesn't Eat Meat, But She Sure Loves The Bone!

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:28 am

congrats on a GREAT bull

9er
Watch your top knot!

gilamonster8
Spike
Spike

Post by gilamonster8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:52 pm

how the heck did he not see that arrow comin. Congrats great bull