Calling Mature Bulls to 11 yards!

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
ryanazares
Fawn
Fawn

Calling Mature Bulls to 11 yards!

Post by ryanazares » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:44 pm

There is nothing I enjoy more than calling up elk. Even if I have no intention of taking the animal, there is something magical about seeing how close I can get them to come in.

This year I had a great time calling up this mature bull. I hiked to the top of this mountain late in the morning (around 11:00 am). Not much was going on and I wasn't seeing elk anywhere. I was actually taking a water break when I heard a bull bugle from a saddle at the top of this mountain.

I hiked up there, and because I was so tired, I just lay down on the ground in the sage brush and gave a little cow call into the grove of trees I was overlooking. I was trying to locate the bull.

See image 3

I heard a big mature bull bugle and then chuckle back to me. I couldn't see him, but he was just inside those trees so I tried again. This time with a different call so he knew I had a few ladies with me. He called again, and the next thing I knew here came this awesome bull walking up out of the trees and up the ridge. He was trying to get my wind, so I just stayed on the ground. I turned my head and blew my first call away from me to try and suck him in a little closer. What happened next surprised me; he kept on coming, but I heard that same thunderous bugle from still inside those trees.

This 370 class bull was a SATELLITE!

See image 2

I didn't know what to do. I wanted to shoot him so badly I couldn't see straight, but I wanted to see what this guy still staying put in the trees looked like. The unknown was absolutely killing me! I laid there on the ground and blew call after call trying to get the herd bull to step out and give me a peak so I could choose between this beautiful bull still coming in and the unknown screams still coming from the trees.

See image 1

I called this bull up to 11 yds before he finally figured it out. I never did see that herd bull in the trees. I guess they don't get that big by chasing any cow in heat. I went back to camp thinking I was greedy and that I had just made the biggest mistake of my life. However, looking back, I'm just thankful for the experience.

Anyway, while I lay there, I took a few pictures. I just had them developed so you can all see my dilemma. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Attachments
The Saddle I was calling into
The Saddle I was calling into
thicket image.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
He just kept on coming in silent
He just kept on coming in silent
Coming up Wind.jpg (48.03 KiB) Viewed 4496 times
This is where I just about lost it.  My range finder said only 11 YDS!
This is where I just about lost it. My range finder said only 11 YDS!
Only 11 yds away.jpg (65.58 KiB) Viewed 4495 times
She Doesn't Eat Meat, But She Sure Loves The Bone!

MULEY7MM
4 point
4 point

Post by MULEY7MM » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:26 pm

That is awesome i need to learn how to call elk i have been up a couple of times this year and i havent seen no elk at all what type of call are you useing?

ryanazares
Fawn
Fawn

My Top 5 Calls!

Post by ryanazares » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:17 pm

I call up several nice bulls each year. I consider myself a very aggressive caller. However, I will be the first to admit that I've lost opportunities because I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and stalking or positioning closer for a shot.

In my opinion, these are the best calls on the market:

1. Hyper Hot Cow Call: I like this call. It is easy to blow and manipulate the pitch. You can blow it and create excitement really easy and it doesn't get clogged with saliva. This call has worked well for me in Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico.

2. Primos Hot Lips: I don't see many people using this call but I think it is great. When nothing is talking or I'm in a high saddle with a little altitude, I will pop this call open in the middle and make one of the loudest mews you have ever heard. If this one doesn't get me an answer, they are not talking! When you are close, you can put the backing on and make some really good calls in close quarters for up close encounters. The other thing I like about it is that I use it to immitate either 1 or 2 cows. I actually turn the call upside down and blow it with better control. This call has worked in Oregon, Idaho, and Utah.

3. Primos Lead Cow: I really love this call. Some bulls really respond to it. The bulls in New Mexico and Idaho seem to like it. However, it gets clogged really easy. If you pull the rubber backing off the reed and dry it off, you can usually get a few more calls before it seizes back up.

4. Sleazy Cow Call: This is one of the easiest calls I've ever used. I've had some bulls really respond well to it. I just like it because it doesn't require much thought. It just puts out a nice little mew every time. The plastic top plate on the reed does get stressed and will break in cold weather. So, for the price I always keep an extra in my pack. This call has worked for me in Wyoming and Idaho.

5. Abe & Sons: These calls are kind of cumbersome. They are much bigger than some other calls you can find, but they work. I used to go down to New Mexico with a bunch of Abe & Son's calls (I do love their bugles) and immitate a whole herd with their side-by-side cow & calf call. The only issue other than size is I get sick of replacing the latex. That is the last thing I like to think about when I'm trying to focus on where a bull is.

Those are my top 5. I've tried Sceery, Carlton's, Hoochie Mama's, ect. ect., but the calls listed above are my favorites year after year. I do like to blow a diaphram when I'm stopping an animal or getting ready for a shot. It is much easier to focus on the shot and stop the animal.

What do you guys think?

:-$ :-$ :-$

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:31 pm

i'm a diaphame guy myself, i couldn't imagine packing that load of calls around. i will bust out a hyper lip on occation though, i never cared for the hyperhot,i'm not a hoochie moma guy at all, i dont mind the sleazy cow call [suprize not to many use glenn berry calls] it uaually makes the trip just not a main goto call. i still pack the good ol' E.L.K. "cow talk" that sucker is old! but have had great luck with it as a second call. but i personally dont like any of the Abe and son calls, i can pick one out most every time i hear a hunter using one in the woods. but non of this matters, to each their own, you use what you have confidence in. if it has worked in the past you are more likely going to give it a longer effort when your using it= kills!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:37 pm

What do you guys think?
I think you know a lot more about Elk and calls then I do. :)

Great pics, that took some serious patience not to shoot him for sure. I don't know I think you made a good call. The mystery of not knowing what the other was is half the fun and what keeps you going back. :thumb

ryanazares
Fawn
Fawn

Cow Talk

Post by ryanazares » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:39 pm

Killerbee,

I totally forgot about that E.L.K "cow talk." I love that little call. I once hunted with a guy in New Mexico that could use that call to get us in so close every single time. I have very fond memories of getting into elk using that call.

Thanks for reminding me of that one. :thumb :))