Need Help For A New Mexico Elk

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
CAROLINA ZX12R
Fawn
Fawn

Need Help For A New Mexico Elk

Post by CAROLINA ZX12R » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:36 pm

I am looking to go on my first hunt. I have chosen to hunt in the Chama area. Could you help out a east coast hunter. Need all the information that I could get.
Life is a short one, why not enjoy what God has put here for us. The blue sky is one of the best.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:13 am

Don't have any info on this area for you, just wanted to welcome you
aboard. Hope you get some info and help.

CAROLINA ZX12R
Fawn
Fawn

Post by CAROLINA ZX12R » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:16 pm

Well thank you very much for the welcome. I hope to bring a little information and get a little.
Life is a short one, why not enjoy what God has put here for us. The blue sky is one of the best.

NMhntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by NMhntr » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:15 pm

Hello i have never had the chance 2 hunt there my self but a friend of mine goes there every year. And they havnt really been able to fill thier tags, but its because they dont really work 2 hard, and he even tells me hes just an armed camper. :1 Any way Chama does have the highest success rate in New Mexico. So you should have really nice and successfull hunt. I personally hunt in the Whites Peak and Black Lake areas. And our hunting group has gotten any where from 4 two 7 elk every time we go (nock on wood) depending on how much tags we have and the time. Just like this year my dad got a really nice 6x7, and my brother got a 5x5, and 1 of our hunting buddies and I got cows. MY cow was a young cow and our buddie got a huge cow. And i got a really nice 6x6 in 03. So good luck.

legendsguide
Fawn
Fawn

chama hunts

Post by legendsguide » Fri May 26, 2006 5:22 am

chama can be the best place in NM to hunt elk.. you just need a little of the right kind of help. there are tons of elk in that unit. so dont get distracted, its a good plan

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Fri May 26, 2006 10:08 am

Is this area have OTC tags or leftovers usually?

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Fri May 26, 2006 4:16 pm

whereabouts in NM is Chama? North, South, North west?

If they sell OTC im thinkin about headin down there - that'd be fun to hunt NM

legendsguide
Fawn
Fawn

chama

Post by legendsguide » Fri May 26, 2006 7:31 pm

chama is a small town located in north central NM. its right on the state line with colorado. It is in my opinion the best elk hunting in NM. there only a couple of places that offer public hunts those being the Sargents wildlife management area and the Humphries WMA. the rest is private. The Chama land ranch is probably the best know but its pricey! If any of you want some more info on unit4 send me an e-mail at trubys245@hotmail.com

ixsolracxi
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ixsolracxi » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:09 pm

chama is in unit 4 which is predominately private w/the exception of a few state wildlife management areas (humphries, sargeant and i think rio chama might be in the same unit) which have only a few tags/hunt so they are sometimes hard to draw...paying for a private land permit will cost you pretty...there are units nearby w/plenty of public land you might want to consider...

solrac

legendsguide
Fawn
Fawn

chama

Post by legendsguide » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:04 pm

great choice for an elk hunt...
sent you a pm