Youth Elk Hunt

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Rushton
Fawn
Fawn

Youth Elk Hunt

Post by Rushton » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:04 pm

I drew out for the youth elk hunt which is in the uintas... Me and my dad don't really have any ideas where to go for my big bull. I would really appreciate some help thanks..

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue May 09, 2006 1:01 pm

Rushton,

Welcome to Muleymadness. :thumb

Congrats on the tag.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue May 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Rushton, welcome to the site and I'll ride Hiker's coattails and say CONGRATS on the draw.
Can't help ya with your request...never been there myself. However, if anyone on this site has hunted that area I am sure that they will be more than willing to help you fill that youth tag.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue May 09, 2006 5:14 pm

Rushton,

Never hunted the Uintas for elk, but the nice thing about Elk is they aren't to difficult to find. They are big animals and tend to stick in some good size herds. Good luck and let us know what you see.

hound_hunter
Monster
Monster

Post by hound_hunter » Fri May 12, 2006 4:41 pm

I drew that tag in 04 - AWESOME HUNT! I loved it! All I can say is do some scouting - look around lots for water and good feeding areas with some good cover close by - that's where they'll be - Myself im personally a high country hunter so i'd tell you to get to the top.. up up up .. and then start your hunt from ridgetop to ridgetop lookin down on somethin to sneak into.. But mid-mountain would probably be fine. As muleymadness said, elk arent too hard to find for the most part - I think you should do great.

Keep us posted and congrats on the tag!
(Just curious - they let you hunt about 2 weeks earlier than everyone else, dont they? I don't quite remember but i think its somethin like that)

Rushton
Fawn
Fawn

Thanks

Post by Rushton » Tue May 16, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks everyone for your help!! ill keep you posted when i find out whats happens..

Muskegman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Muskegman » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:33 pm

My kid drew the same tag (I think.) Are you talking Hunt #YH499?

I'm travelling down from Alaska to do this one.

My first comment is that this hunt is not confined to the Uintas. I suggest you look at the 2006 Proclomation. You can hunt "Any Bull Elk Unit" except those that are "Spike Bull Elk Unit" only.

While I don't have any good recommendations, make sure you get something like the DeLorme State Atlas so you can get an idea of the topography and land ownership. The DeLorme only has 300' contours, which is not that great, but gives you some ideas.

I found Utah Geologic Survey has free 7.5 minute quad downloads. This can give you better topographic resolution. Helps ever better if you know how to stitch the images together. Of course you can alway pay lots of money for the individual topo maps or a collection of all the state quad maps.

http://geology.utah.gov/maps/topomap/7_5Quads/

From what I've gathered, the South Slope is not a bad place to look for an elk.

Hope this helps.

MM[/url]

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:48 pm

Hey welcome to the site Rushton i havent ever hunted any elk yet but just wanted to say hello. by the way were ya from i know some Rushtons from vernal. are you one of um. ::wel

Utahbowhunter
Monster
Monster

Post by Utahbowhunter » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:05 pm

a good place to go hunting in the uintas is at mile marker 23! we have seen some big elk there!!

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:02 pm

Congrats on the elk tag. ::wel