Lessons learned this year

Talk anything related to bowhunting
huntingal
Spike
Spike

Lessons learned this year

Post by huntingal » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 am

Another archery season had come and gone for me and although I will have to eat "tag soup" this year I will have to call the hunt a success :thumb
Things learned:
always watch the wind
hunt till you are out of the woods -stumbling onto a nice 4 point bull elk(thirty yards from me and a few hundered yards from the pickup taught me that one)
check the wind
cold muscles cannot pull my bow back
it can and will snow 6" at 7000 feet in September
check the wind
there are always more elk than you see (leaned through a blundered stalk)
hunt every day you can because it will be a year before you can do it again-that means even if it is snowing in September
you don't archery hunt to kill something - thats what late season private land cow tags are for :))
did i mention to check the wind?
Anybody else learn any good leasons this year?

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:51 am

check the wind
there are always more elk than you see (leaned through a blundered stalk)
It's always amazes me how those big critters can hide so well. That dark head and neck really blends in with the woods & brush. Another thing that amazes me is how do those herds know exactly where to bed so they can get that swirling wind effect. 1 hour stalk blown by that little wind swirl, you know what I mean? ](*,)
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

bowhunter 616
Spike
Spike

Post by bowhunter 616 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:52 am

I'm still hunting,but it is winding down for Archery,Hunt hard and make every hour count.just being out is a great way to spend the day,and you never know what might be around the next corner ???
take a young person hunting,you won't have to hunt for them!!

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:37 am

After drawing back the bow do not rest the cam on your leg and release the arrow...loses tons of speed.

a3dhunter
Spike
Spike

Re: Lessons learned this year

Post by a3dhunter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:20 am

Quote:
hunt till you are out of the woods -stumbling onto a nice 4 point bull elk(thirty yards from me and a few hundered yards from the pickup taught me that one)End quote

I would have to say this was the hardest lesson of all. Opening morning I jumped two bulls coming into a wallow, they headed uphill acting confused so I gave them a few minutes and started slowly following them. With my eyes looking ahead I heard something to my right---the biggest 6 point bull I have ever seen in the woods stood up and took off from 20 yards away. I haveno idea how I didn't see him. It was a thick bedding area with no chance for a shot. This was followed closely by a huge hail storm, heading back to the vehicle I was 40 yards from the road when I look to my left and see a nice 4 point bull break away---again---no shot! Great morning taught me a lot.

Other things:
1. Those hard to get to areas are worth hunting.
2. Take plenty of food and water for an all day hunt every time out, there is nothing like ending up in the bottom of a canyon, low on energy, knowing you have to make it 2 hours to the top before to get something to eat.
3. Don't waste time if your not seeing sign, move on.
4. Watch out for those pesky cows!
a3dhunter

JBird
Monster
Monster

Post by JBird » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:00 pm

Check the range.
Aim low when deer is standing broadside at 30yrds up a hill.

Sneaky
Spike
Spike

Post by Sneaky » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:34 pm

Always carry rain gear. Three straight days of getting soaked always helps you remember the next time. #-o

lunkerjunker
Spike
Spike

Post by lunkerjunker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:18 pm

Something I learned in my first year archery hunting: When you dont have a lot of time to hunt, stick to the areas you know. My days were limited this year (baby, new house, kids ect.) and i wasted some good days trying new spots. Ok they werent wasted days, but not very deer productive.

johnb
Fawn
Fawn

Post by johnb » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:54 pm

Don't pass on a 140 class muley 3 times during bow season, assuming he will still be around during rifle....

cobo
Fawn
Fawn

Post by cobo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 am

When taking a rest break after a 1 hour uphilll hike...always keep your bow within arms reach with an arrow knocked! Had two bulls dogging two cows come by me at 15 yards, scrambled for bow, buddy stopped the smaller one with a cow call at 40 yards, I made a good shot, but would have been much easier at 15 yards!