The dream year?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

The dream year?

Post by Meathunter13 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:59 am

Time to get back to some heavy duty archery practice. Ive now draw my bear tag and my elk tag... with 99% odds of drawing my archery deer tag its shaping up to one good year. The countdown is on!!... Will I take my first archery bull this year? And will I be able to find that "BIG" wide typical 10point from last year or the trashy 8point and let ones air out??? STAY TUNED its gonna be exciting!!!!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Thu May 24, 2007 3:34 pm

M13,

I was just curious if you moved to Colorado from an Eastern state, or if you are referring to a whitetail rather than a mule deer? I'm absolutely not poking fun, just curious because people in the West don't normally refer to a deer as an 8pt or a 10pt, while Easterners do. I wasn't sure if states that have Eastern whitetails in them might still refer to a 10 pt whitetail, but if the same buck were a muley would that same person call it a 4 pt? Again, not meaning anything by it, I was just curious about the regional slangs that various areas use to refer to the same thing. Perhaps someone else could even answer that. In states that have both species, like Montana or Wyoming, do you refer to a whitetail as a 10 pt and a muley as a 4 pt, or would you refer to them both as a 4 pt? Good luck on your hunts!
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

brn2hunt
4 point
4 point

Post by brn2hunt » Fri May 25, 2007 7:50 am

we have both species where i am and most refer to them as 4x4 or 5x5 etc. regardless of the species
"Ne A La Chasse"

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Fri May 25, 2007 11:40 am

Yeah I grew up in the good old midwest. Indiana to be exact. For elk I go with the 4x4 or 6x5 but for deer I still count them by points. Not sure why. Oh and I only count the brow tines if they are more than 5 inches...lol. I know I know confusing. I actually use to only say whitetails by points, but now if its a deer it has points if its an elk it has X

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Fri May 25, 2007 5:03 pm

my favorite line to tell hunters from back east[ which most of them were]
me:" do you know why they count both side of whitetails?"
hunter: "no, why?"
me:" well when you add both sides of a whitetail they are almost as big as are mulies" :) oh that used to get them easterners going! :)) they are REALLY diehard on their whities.

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Mon May 28, 2007 12:07 pm

MH13,

Congrats on your draws, by the way! I didn't mean to hijack your thread to a different topic :)

So far not a great year for me for drawing. I drew a javelina tag for earlier this year, where I took my best boar ever, but really actually "drew" the tag during late 2006 (for the 2007 hunt). I haven't drawn a thing so far in 2007. Come on New Mexico! I also still have a shot at the couple of animals left in the 2nd Arizona drawing. There's still time for my 2007 luck to change!

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

typicalmuley
Spike
Spike

Point counting

Post by typicalmuley » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:19 am

We have both species here in Eastern Idaho, I have always called a mule deer by the 4x4 method and a whitie by eastern method (total number of points). I am native of Idaho and have lived here most of my life.
Idaho Rules

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:25 pm

your from long mont i was just there for the weekend vistiting my aunt thats pretty funny

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:34 pm

Congrats on all the tags and good luck!

Here in kansas I hear it both eastern and western count with probably a little stronger on the eastern count.