Practice

Talk anything related to bowhunting
southwind
Monster
Monster

Practice

Post by southwind » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:10 am

I like to hear what others are doing.

I use five pins on my bow out to sixty yards and practice a lot at fifty. The reason I do this is not so much to make fifty yard shot but it really helps my close shots and shooting form in general.

I try and shoot everyday and sometimes I will go out in the a.m. and take just one shot. Trying to duplicate a one chance hunting situation and putting all your eggs in that one shot.

I try to shoot some 3D matches during the summer just to hone my yardage guesses. But this year darn gas is so expensive and my closet club is an hour away I may not get many in.

Anyway, lets hear alittle of what you do.

youngbuck91
Spike
Spike

Post by youngbuck91 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:09 am

I took everything off my bow and right now it is getting new strings put on it. Starting all back over. I usally practice at 10, 20, and 30 yards in my back yard. Any futher than that, my dad and i go to a shooting club we are in. It's actually a rifle range, but we also shoot bows there.

I just found this indoor 3D place, going to check it out soon. hopw to start competing in 3D shots.

I shot a Martin Tracer Magnum. Set at 57 lbs. 30'' draw. 55/75 Vapor by BlackHawk carbon arrows. 115 gr Muzzy broadhead. 5 pin site.

a3dhunter
Spike
Spike

Post by a3dhunter » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:40 am

Up until about a month before season I shoot known distance out to 50 yards most of the time, but I have also started doing some field archery shooting out to 80 yards.
It sure is nice to see good groups out at 60 yards and then move back and end up with them about the same at 70 yards. I am also shooting a 5 pin sight, set at 20,30,40,50,60. I pin gap between last pin and bubble for 70 yards and then shoot the bubble for 80 yards.
If I step out to shoot one shot I am now very confident it will be a kill shot out to 50 yards, before I wouldn't have felt the same way about anything over 30 yards.

I found that I could shoot 20 yards for years and never improve, butmoving back to 50 forced me to improve my form and stop punching the trigger.
The last month before the season I will walk around the yard shooting different angle at unknown yardages. If I am off on my yardage estimation I will range it to find out how far off I am. I would love to shoot angles, but not much chance here in Amarillo for that-even our trees don't grow tall and they refer to an overpass as a mountain over yonder!
a3dhunter

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:27 am

a3dhunter wrote:Up until about a month before season I shoot known distance out to 50 yards most of the time, but I have also started doing some field archery shooting out to 80 yards.
It sure is nice to see good groups out at 60 yards and then move back and end up with them about the same at 70 yards. I am also shooting a 5 pin sight, set at 20,30,40,50,60. I pin gap between last pin and bubble for 70 yards and then shoot the bubble for 80 yards.
If I step out to shoot one shot I am now very confident it will be a kill shot out to 50 yards, before I wouldn't have felt the same way about anything over 30 yards.

I found that I could shoot 20 yards for years and never improve, butmoving back to 50 forced me to improve my form and stop punching the trigger.
The last month before the season I will walk around the yard shooting different angle at unknown yardages. If I am off on my yardage estimation I will range it to find out how far off I am. I would love to shoot angles, but not much chance here in Amarillo for that-even our trees don't grow tall and they refer to an overpass as a mountain over yonder!
Smart! I use to shoot at 40 yards max until I started hunting with a couple of guys that would practice out to 70-80 yards. These guys would take 50 yard shots on elk if they had a good lane. :arrow
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6