Opening morning success.

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Opening morning success.

Post by Meathunter13 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:27 pm

Opening morning August 25th. At 6:30am we were in elk. It was a long night before. Pulled into camp at 1am after working all day friday up at 4:30am. After the grueling hike it didnt take long. This isnt my brothers first year hunting archery or elk. However, He has never filled an archery tag nor an elk tag. With his son coming in only a few weeks. Given the opportunity he would take a mature cow. The herd was spread out in small groups. We stalked 2 seperate groups and got into 50 yards on 2 different cows. Neither of which gave a shot. We split the 2 smaller groups of cows and a cactus type spike bull that had a flat palm with small fingers on top (Half caribou I think) away from the main herd. We started to coyote in silent on the main herd. Now we could hear multiple bugles from the elk willows and we knew the bulls were in there. We had previously talked about the possibility of filling both archery tags within minutes of each other out of the same herd. We stayed with it and the wind treated us very well. We stayed about 75 yards away from the herd. Then we see the herd cow feeding towards an opening. We were off... to sneak him into position. Into the middle of the herd we went. Elk on all sides, and closing in around us. Some bugles and cows ringing out from unseen locations very close to us. We got to the opening that we believed the cow would pass through right about 40 yards. At 7:30am she stepped out right on queue.
Attachments
drewsshotwebby.jpg
drewsshotwebby.jpg (227.44 KiB) Viewed 7539 times

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:00 pm

He made a good shot and she went straight down. The rest of the herd didnt even spook. 2 smaller bulls came out about 45 yards and a decent non typical 4x5 came out. I closed the distance by about another 10 yards to him. Ranged him at just about 65yards and decided one elk down is enough. Its early and I dont need to take risky shots. 12 more full days of hunting for me and with the herd cow out of the way... It can only help.
Attachments
harvestpic1web.jpg
harvestpic1web.jpg (142.11 KiB) Viewed 7530 times

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:06 pm

Great hunt got some good video and pics... and some great meat. She had nice ivories and we got a feel for some of the bulls in the area. Hopefully this is just the beginning of the story.
Attachments
lonecowwebby.jpg
lonecowwebby.jpg (237.35 KiB) Viewed 7526 times

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Great story and great pics! CONGRATS!

Was this in CO?

I_shed_hunt
Spike
Spike

Post by I_shed_hunt » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:23 pm

WOW! I never really cared to reaf a story bout a cow elk but that was awesome. Those are some great pictures as well. The second one is my favorite. THANKS FOR POSTING!
MY SHED ANTLERS ARE NOT YOUR SHED ANTLERS

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:25 pm

Yes colorado... about 9800ft public land. About .2 miles from where I killed my 6x5 bull last year. I have 4 days in a row this weekend and then 8 days in a row starting the weekend after. I have a either sex archery elk an either sex archery mule deer and a bear tag. We have seen good bucks and bulls this year all ready and some good bear sign. My brothers second son will be born in only a couple weeks and we needed to get him filling some archery tags. Glad it worked!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:57 pm

Now that's pretty darn cool right there. Did you video him shooting the Cow?

Nice pics and thanks for sharing!

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:06 pm

Yes I did get video, of the first 2 stalks and him taking his cow. Which is great he will always have it to remember his first archery kill and his first elk. Hopefully I will get my bull on video and/or the bucks we are going for. Got some good leads on bears too. So hopefully I can make a compilation of the whole hunting season.

BIGBUCKCRAZY
Spike
Spike

Post by BIGBUCKCRAZY » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:23 pm

nice story. I'm new here so when I get the picture thing figured out I'll post 1 of a caribou spike elk. we brought in a friend from out of state and kept reminding him it had to be 4 point or better. well when we got to his kill (his first elk) all our heart sank cause it was a spike. He said what and lifted it out of the snow and it had a palm at the top as big as your hand w/ 4 points. even the game warden said wow how lucky! how'd you count those?
What have ya got if ya haven't got a story?

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:34 pm

what unit was this? congrats :thumb
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne