Slick Tricks

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Slick Tricks

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:54 pm

Hey guys,
I started using slick tricks some time back, my first hunt with them was a Javalina hunt in January, no problem clean kill my arrow buzzed right through...
I just got back from a sheep/hog hunt, same setup no changes.... I couldn't get hardly the penetration with my sheep and hog I got with my Jav? On my Sheep I one lunged him, same with my hog. Decent placement, just no penetration.... I've turned up my lbs. on my bow.... I haven't had a chance to hunt again....But I must say I am a bit worried... Im thinking of going back to my Thunderheads. Anyone else having trouble (or great success) with the slick tricks?

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 pm

When I test shot them, they performed farily well. I would think the penetration was better on your javelina because it's an animal that only averages 40 pounds! Feral hogs and sheep are much larger. So with that in mind, turning up some weight to increase your kinetic energy might not be a bad idea.

ST's penetrated well for me (better than Thunderheads) but are still not a leading edge broadhead (I prefer those), which generally will out-penetrate other heads. One of the main reasons I now shoot for Wac'em is they are a leading edge 3-bladed head that flys better than any head I've shot!

ST's and Thunderheads are great heads. But don't discard Wac'ems either. They WILL fly awesome and penetrate well. Here's their site to see their product.

http://www.wacemarchery.com
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:19 pm

I've been running NAP's Spitfires for a few years now. Love the way that they fly but would like a little better penetration so this year I'll be trying NAP's crossfire broadheads. I haven't had a chance to see how they shoot yet but I've been told that they fly well.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

MuliesnMerriams
2 point
2 point

Post by MuliesnMerriams » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Thanks Guys... I did think about the fact that the sheep and pig are a bit hardier.... I guess I was just disappointed thats all... One of my friends shoots the Wac'ems , and really likes them. I'll check them out..
Thanks again

SPITFIRE
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SPITFIRE » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:04 am

Bow nut have you had problems with the spitfire penetration? I used them last year and blew right threw the buck. Just wondering if I got lucky.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:01 pm

Spitfire,

No I haven't had any trouble with deer other than when I've hit a major bone. They have zipped right through deer. I would just like a little better penetration on the elk. On every elk that I've shot they have worked just fine and put them down fast. But if I shoot them on any kind of angle other than broadside and if they are past thirty yards even broadside I don't get a complete pass through. When it comes time to track an animal that I've shot I like it when there are two holes for the animal to bleed from. It makes recovery easy and quick. Don't get me wrong I love the spitfire broadheads and have been quite effective with them. I'm just going to try these other broadheads to see if they fly the same as the spitfire's do. If they do then I'll have the best of both worlds. They will shoot just as good as feild tips and have the penetration of a cut on contact tip. I hope that it works. [-o<
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.