Take em? or let him walk?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Take em? or let him walk?

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Okay boys/girls...Archery season is getting closer.

Herre is the deal, your sneaking through the brush on opening day when this buck stands up out of the oak at 50 yards ahead.

3 questions I have for you...

1. Do you take the shot at 50 yards?

2. Do you take the shot with the angle and and are confident you can sink one through the 'boiler room'?

3. Do you take the buck period, this is your first look and you can't see his horns good so you really aren't sure how big he is?

...you know you have to decide quick as you know he will be gone soon.

What say ye??

p.s. - my heavens I had a couple of good mornings looking for bucks! :-$

brett :thumb
buck_arrow.jpg

Mark
3 point
3 point

Re: Take em? or let him walk?

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Nope. I'm pretty confident at 50 yards, but he's looking at me and drawing back requires a lot of movement. And he's more than likely to jump the string on the shot.

Not only that, but there are trees in the way. I could be off by a few inches and the whole deal could go bad.

Besides, I haven't had a good look at him and it's the first day of the hunt.

I've got time, I've got patience, and I've got the discipline to let him walk.
Hoyt

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:45 pm

no i dont take the shot, knowing what can happen,i'm not quit confident at 50 yrds. i do however try and get closer so i can take a shot, from what i can see i'd be happy with him. if the yardage was under 40 then i would take the shot with that angle. by looking at the size of his big ol' pot belly i think it's an older / mature buck. oh and if i'm hunting in bretts spot , i know i have a 50/50 chance of it being a cactus buck so i'm shooting :)) j/k

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:28 am

Nice buck, good angle too. If you're going to take him just don't stare at the little tree. Pick a spot on the animal or you may center that scrub oak! I'd probably wait. He doesn't look too spooked.
Mark

elkchaser
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkchaser » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:55 am

I'd be punching my buck tag if that buck was standing in front of me. He'd be eating my carbon tech arrow tipped with a Nap Nitron broadhead

ABert

Post by ABert » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:45 pm

I would pass being as it was opening day, the trees and the yardage. Plus, really can't tell too much of the rack, providing that is what you are looking for. As mentioned before, he does look to be a mature buck with the big ol' belly he's carrying. I would hold off and hope I'd get a better look at him later on in the week.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:09 pm

I would hold off and see if I could get a little closer, or at least see if he walks out from behind the brush. Being opening day here in Utah. You have a whole month of hunting infront of you. No reason to chance wounding a deer on a deflected arrow or a bad shot (having to cut it real close to the tree).

Thanks for the photo Brett.
Deadi

COLO3D
Spike
Spike

Post by COLO3D » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:21 pm

If you think that tree is in the way, don't shoot. That tree is nowhere near where you need to hit that buck. Don't look at the tree, look at the spot where you want to hit. I see a tuft of hair that is just calling my name! The body size sure does indicate he is a mature deer.

Bustin Bucks
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bustin Bucks » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm

Let him have it! I feel comfortable enough at that range for the shot so I say take him.

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:36 am

For me, I say no to all three questions. Better bucks in the area.......better shot opportunites to come......the deer has you pegged, so the chances of him jumping at the shot are fairly good at that distance. JMO
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer