Help please

Talk anything related to bowhunting
straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Help please

Post by straightshooter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:18 am

So I took my bow (2005 hoyt ultramag) to the local pro shop to have it restrung. It took about a week and a half before they called and said it would be ready that day. I went down to pick it up and they were doing some final stuff (peep, silencers etc.) When they got done they handed it to me and I IMMEDIATELY knew something was totally wrong. My string is way off center of the rest (like 3/4 inch) and my limbs are not straight up and down. They are crooked. Now I don't know too much about all these strings and cables and stuff like that but I knew something wasn't right. So I tell dude that there is a major problem and it was not like that before. He looks at it and has another dude look at it and tells me that it must have been that way before and that they have never seen anything like it. So disgusted, I take my bow home and I immediately get online and load up my Hoyt owners manual. The drawings are not completely clear, but I think they have my cables installed wrong. So before I take it back and risk looking like a dummy, does anyone have a hoyt with a cam and 1/2 system that they could get a good picture of and post so I could verify the proper cable installation. I would greatly appreciate this.
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Re: Help please

Post by 6x6 bull » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:24 pm

You might try the hoyt website. I know that Mathews website has an archery tech forum section. This very reason is why I bought my own press and do the work myself. Got tired of 16 year olds working on my bow at the local pro shop. I am not saying that all 16 year olds do a bad job I just think someone needs to have some experience before they let them run the shop.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:24 pm

If it were me, I would try to find another shop to take it to. Are there any other pro shops in your area?

Would it be possible for you to post pics of your bow?
Hoyt

straightshooter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by straightshooter » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:42 pm

yeah thanks fellas I am so frustrated right now. Upon further review it appears that the cables are on correctly or are at least in the right position but someone in another thread said it is possible that they bent my riser when they put it in the bow press. I mean shouldn't my limbs be straight up and down and not cocked inward slightly. and when they put the laser on it, it only lines up in the middle of the string. When he turned the laser up it was on one side of the string and when he turned it down, it moved to the opposite side of the string only lining up in the middle. There is no other shops in the area open this weekend and even then the only other one is about 70 miles away. If anyone knows how my limbs could be cocked inward causing my string to be approx 3/4 inch off center please help. I've only got about 6 weeks to get this resolved before opening day.
I hunt Utah 'cause there's no deer in California!

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:36 am

Yes, it's possible that they bent your riser. You need another pro shop to evaluate it.

Drive the 70 miles to the other shop. If you think the original pro shop may have damaged your bow, would you trust them with your bow again? I know I wouldn't!
Hoyt